What kind of guitar player are you?

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: What kind of guitar player are you?

Post by jdogric12 »

sloop_john_b wrote:For all you rhythmers, here's a good place to get started. This is the pentatonic scale, first form, in A minor. I start all my students off with this and make them improvise a solo, often in the first or second lesson after I teach it:

E---------------------------------------5--8-----------
B---------------------------------5--8------------------
G--------------------------5--7-------------------------
D-------------------5--7--------------------------------
A-----------5--7----------------------------------------
E----5--8-----------------------------------------------
*pssst* wanna check that string order again? :oops:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:For all you rhythmers, here's a good place to get started. This is the pentatonic scale, first form, in A minor. I start all my students off with this and make them improvise a solo, often in the first or second lesson after I teach it:

E---------------------------------------5--8-----------
B---------------------------------5--8------------------
G--------------------------5--7-------------------------
D-------------------5--7--------------------------------
A-----------5--7----------------------------------------
E----5--8-----------------------------------------------
*pssst* wanna check that string order again? :oops:
Aw dude, you have the power to edit my posts, you couldn't have just done it quietly? :lol:

J Dog rules!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Oops, sorry, forgot about that. :oops: :oops:

How does it look now??? :lol: :D
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I'm mostly a lead player, I guess, but I play by 'feel'...I made up my own hybrid major/pentatonic scale. :mrgreen:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

dpowell wrote:I'm mostly a lead player, I guess, but I play by 'feel'...I made up my own hybrid major/pentatonic scale. :mrgreen:
Ditto here! Here's an example of "my" scale in G major (most of it is taken from E minor pentatonic though):

e --------------------------------------------------------------------10---12----
B --------------------------------------------------8----10----12----------------
G -----------------------------------------7---9----------------------------------
D --------------------------5----7----9-------------------------------------------
A ----------------5----7----------------------------------------------------------
E ---3---5---7--------------------------------------------------------------------
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

That's pentatonic major, correct? I never learned my pentatonics very well. I was always too fascinated by diminished and augmented things.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Wow! There are some real stretches in that. Wouldn't it be easier to play this instead? It's moveable.

E_______________________3______________________________________________________________
B___________________3_5_________________________________________________________________
G_______________2_4_____________________________________________________________________
D___________2_5_________________________________________________________________________
A_______2_5_____________________________________________________________________________
E___3_5_________________________________________________________________________________

JimK, (always looking for the easy way out :mrgreen: )
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jimk wrote:Wow! There are some real stretches in that. Wouldn't it be easier to play this instead? It's moveable.
No big stretches, Jim - you have to move your position. For instance, on the first string, the first three notes would be played with the index finger, ring finger, and then a slid-over ring finger, respectively.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Oh, OK. Got it.

JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

A forumite told me about this tip he got from Carol Kaye... "pivot" with your left thumb and you can reach lots more positions while still being somewhat anchored to the back of the neck. You can reach about 8 frets without moving position on a bass if you do this.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:A forumite told me about this tip he got from Carol Kaye... "pivot" with your left thumb and you can reach lots more positions while still being somewhat anchored to the back of the neck. You can reach about 8 frets without moving position on a bass if you do this.
Fançois Rabbath has been teaching that for a long time, also.

http://www.artofthebow.com

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =148785596
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

Back in college ( way too long ago ) I'd help my guitar playing buddy learn his leads by keeping
the rhythm for him. It just kind of stayed that way......I can play a little lead on certain songs but
I have concentrated on being the best rhythm player I could be. I'm not the spotlight guy on stage.....no
flash but not many mistakes either.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:... You can reach about 8 frets without moving position on a bass if you do this.
I'll have to try that, because I'm pretty sure that my short fingers will not be able to cover that much territory! :D
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

wittyair wrote:... I can play a little lead on certain songs but I have concentrated on being the best rhythm player I could be ...
I'm right there, too, Craig! :D
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

My first public foray as a guitarist was playing as ring-in rhythm man for a friend's punk group. My band was on the same (very low rent) ticket, so I borrowed our guitarist's tele copy & amp. After the very short set, I asked him how I sounded, and his comment was "like a bass-player playing guitar". That says it all, really....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”