Learning to sight read standard notation

Putting music theory into practice
Rickissippi

Learning to sight read standard notation

Post by Rickissippi »

Anyone got any good resources (or even helpful advice) on learning to read standard notation for the six-string? I'm looking for a book or something that is specific to learning how to sight read standard notation, and specific to the guitar. (I've been spending a lot of time with jazz fake books lately, and I'm still slow to work my way through a piece of music.)

Anything like that out there? Or is it best just to dig in with lead sheets and struggle my way through?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Learning to sight read standard notation

Post by jimk »

There's a Hal Leonard book that I use with my beginning guitar students that might be what you're looking for. It does use both musical notation and TAB. Yes, it's graded for beginning guitar students, but it will teach you to read.
JimK
Rickissippi

Post by Rickissippi »

Thanks, I'm looking at a few options on Amazon.

Perhaps I should mention that I have been playing (mostly rock) for 20+ years now. Thus, I'm not a beginner. However, I am certainly not above beginner material - just an FYI for any other recommendations.
mikegreen

Post by mikegreen »

My former teacher, who studied with Paul Gilbert at GIT, recommended "Music reading for guitar" by David Oakes,
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Reading-Gui ... 923&sr=1-1

I was the same as you, lifelong player but ****** reader. About $12 on Amazon.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”