RRF CD 4 - Call for Submissions & Artwork

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
admin
Site Admin

RRF CD 4 - Call for Submissions & Artwork

Post by admin »

RRF CD 4 - Call for Submissions of Original Recorded Works Featuring Rickenbacker Instruments.

To all RRF members

Once again in preparation for the release of a compilation of recordings by RRF members the forum administration team is calling for submissions of original recorded works featuring a Rickenbacker instrument or multiple Rickenbacker instruments.

Please provide your tracks in the following formats only:

· Audio CD

· Wave file on CD-ROM

· FLAC

· DAT

· MP3’s with a bit rate of 320kb/s will be considered but be aware there is a potential for a small sonic loss that could occur during the mastering or upload process.

If you are sending a full CD or multiple submissions please indicate which tracks you wish to have considered for inclusion.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: NOVEMBER 1st, 2012.

SCHEDULED CD or iTunes RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 1st, 2012.

In order to make the album/CD more readily accessible the forum administration team is currently considering using iTunes to handle distribution. That means that you will be able to download the album and CD art yourselves should you so wish.

Please contact Peter McCormack via the RRF PM system for a forwarding address or email address for your submissions.

The forum administration team is looking forward to yet another round of quality submissions.

Please note: The purpose of this compilation CD is to share the talents of our RRF members and to celebrate the use Rickenbacker guitar/bass/amplifiers etc in recorded works. This is a non-profit venture. The proceeds, after production and distribution costs go towards the operational cost of the server hosting the RRF.

Also please note: The forum administration team will happy to discuss the idea of hard copy versus download media. The thought is that the download media alternate would allow for faster delivery of the product and will allow more funds to go directly towards funding the server.

RRF CD 4 - Call for Submissions of Original Art Works for CD-4.

To All RRF Members

Once again in preparation for the release of a compilation of recordings by RRF members the forum administration team is calling for submissions of original, high resolution art work for our upcoming CD.

Please provide artwork in the following formats only:

JPEG

.PSD

.tiff

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: NOVEMBER 1st, 2012.

SCHEDULED CD or iTunes RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 1st, 2012.

Please contact Peter McCormack via the RRF PM system for a forwarding address or email address for your submissions.

The forum administration team is looking forward to receiving some really great artwork.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Grey
Advanced Member

Re: RRF CD 4 - Call for Submissions & Artwork

Post by Grey »

What are the optimal desired dimensions for submitted artwork?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Erik, standard CD booklet size. You can see some typical guidelines at the following link.

http://www.a1cds.co.uk/artwork/booklet.htm
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

The digital vs. hard copy thing really needs to be sorted out first since it will determine the specifics of how the artwork should be orangized. i.e, artwork designed as a single cover image (for a digital download) or as a whole theme that needs to be carried across front/back/inserts for a CD jewel case.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

From CD-Baby

How should I prepare my Package Design for printing?

Download our templates, and create your artwork in a professional graphics program, using high quality 300 ppi images. Be sure to use CMYK. We will convert any RGB images to CMYK for printing, which will result in color shifts. It is better that you see this change on your own computer.

Finished design files must be submitted in PDF format. When exporting your final design for submission, we recommend exporting your PDFs using the PDF/X-4 preset available in every layout application.

How should I prepare my Disc design for printing?

Our color disc printing uses a CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) process that combines these four primary colors to create the colors that print on your disc. This process is different than how we print your inserts (or how your ink-jet printer at home works), and following the simple guidelines below will achieve the best results.

DO:

Fill the entire surface of the disc with your design.

Use BOLD and LARGE text If you have any background imagery underneath the title and text on your disc, use subtle, grainy textures.

Use BOLD , rich colors

DON'T

Avoid large areas of a solid color. Since we combine four primary colors (CMYK) to print on the disc, the results may not be as smooth and consistent as you had envisioned.

Do not use thin, small text. This can be difficult to read when printed on the disc label and may not be as crisp as the art was when displayed on your computer monitor. We recommend that you keep all text 9 points or larger.

Avoid using drop shadows or other effects on your text. The subtle nature of a drop shadow or other effect commonly used on text does not translate well when printing on the disc surface.

Try not to leave large portions of your design blank or white. There will be some color shift near the center hub of the disc, and if this area is left unprinted that effect is more noticeable.

Avoid using close up pictures of people on the disc surface. It is difficult to make the photo look as good as it does on your monitor when printing on the disc.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

iTunes distribution sounds great.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

:shock: Wow, I was just thinking about this yesterday, if there would be a 4th one! :shock:
basswaif

Post by basswaif »

How should I prepare my Package Design for printing?
Download our templates, and create your artwork in a professional graphics program, using high quality 300 ppi images. "

I've seen the download link for the size-specifications for the CD Jacket however,
I'm a tad confused as to where to locate the templates that are referred to in the above instructions. Where does one download them, from? Will these templates, also include-the copy they should be included on the outside-or inner jacket, itself?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jon I believe the link to the template download page is below.

http://duplication.cdbaby.com/Quoter/Templates.aspx

IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Is the artwork just for the front or should concepts for the back, inside, and disk be submitted too?
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

IHeartRics wrote:Is the artwork just for the front or should concepts for the back, inside, and disk be submitted too?
Thats what I was trying to figure out. If it's just going to be an iTunes download then only cover art is needed, but if there is going to be a physical CD....?
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

We use CDbaby for distribution and really like them, but I've done four CD jackets and like the templates and production services from Groove House a lot better, so that's where we have them done. The templates plug nicely into Photoshop and you submit the images as bitmaps. Unlike CDbaby, there aren't a lot of cautions or restrictions on the graphic design and I can be pretty sure that whatever I send in will look just as I envisioned when it comes back. You can see (and/or download) the Groove House templates here and they would most likely work with any production house:
http://duplication.groovehouse.com/templates-disc/

Below are a jpeg mockup of an entire CD graphics package (covers, insides and disk) and a photo of what actually came back from Groove House. No surprises and everything as it was supposed to look. Obviously though and as mentioned, somebody will need to decide which format to go with before turning all the artists loose to start designing.
Attachments
OMN-Mockup.jpg
OMN-CD.jpg
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

I'm too old school, me likes a CD in my hand.....and you have higher resolution music generally to play with!

Being new around here, are the previous CD's still around someplace to check out?
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

RickyBubba wrote:I'm too old school, me likes a CD in my hand.....and you have higher resolution music generally to play with!

Being new around here, are the previous CD's still around someplace to check out?
Check out Rickresource Forum Products in the upper right hand corner of the forum page.
"The best things in life aren't things."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Scare as hen's teeth. 6 of CD3 left. CD1 and CD2 now sold out. :D Watch for them on eBay. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”