uploading pics

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
david/wales/u.k

uploading pics

Post by david/wales/u.k »

How do i upload pics. I press the upload attachment but it says My pics are too big (pixel height and width too large) Thanks...not very good with this sort of thing
marcinkus
Veteran RRF member

Re: uploading pics

Post by marcinkus »

Try to upload on postimage.org or similar and post link here.
'96 4004C | '98 4003 | '00 4003vp | '05 4003 Custom | '08 4004Cii | '16 4000 Conversion
david/wales/u.k

marcinkus wrote:Try to upload on postimage.org or similar and post link here.

Thanks. I have done that and will put it under Rickenbacker guitars. Hope it works..Thanks
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

David, you may also have another option available. You may find that you already have MicroSoft Office Picture Manager preloaded on your machine if it's a Windows based computer. If so, right click on the picture you want to open and then choose the "open with" option from the drop down menu and select MS Picture Manager to open it. You should then get a row of tabs at the top of the screen which should include "File, Edit, View, Picture" etc. Click on the "Picture" option and a drop down menu should appear which will include "Resize" as an option. Click on "Resize" and you'll get a new menu on the right hand side of the screen giving various resize options. Easiest one to use is probably "percentage of original width and height" - just click on that one (click in the middle of the little circle for that option) and then use the down button next to the circle to reduce the size of the original image to measurements which are no greater than 1200 pixels in either height or width (that should then get it to a size which is within forum posting limits for pictures). Then click the OK button at he bottom of the side resize menu and then click the "File" button at the top left of the screen and you should get a drop down menu which includes "Save As" option - click that and then rename your newly resized file with whatever title you want and then click the "Save" option button and that's it - you have created a new resized file which you should then be able to upload direct from your hard drive to the forum as an attachment. Then close down the MS Picture Manager application - when you do that you'll get a pop up message box in the middle of the screen saying "There are changes that have not been saved" and giving you "Save", "Don't Save" and "Cancel" button options. Don't click "Save" at this point - instead click on the "Don't Save" button as otherwise your original high definition image that you started with will also be resized to the new smaller setting and you'd end up with two resized image files rather than the original larger sized picture and the newly created/renamed smaller file.

I appreciate this may all sound complicated but if you do have Picture Manager on your machine and you try it a couple of times you'll find it's really easy to get the hang of and you then don't have to use another hosting website as it's all done with your own PC files.
david/wales/u.k

Thanks Eddie....I got it ...Much appreciated.....I will post them in Guitar section. Well worth a look. Thanks :D
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Images need to have a maximum dimension (height or width) of around 1200 pixels and a file size of less than about 300 kb.

I use a freeware program called FastStone Photo Resizer (for Windows), available at download.com. It is very easy to use and allows batch resizing to specified dimension (I think it might do it by file size, too, but I always use the dimension option).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, I think for uploads, you can go 1280 x 1280. If you use the "[img][\img]" tags to embed a picture hosted elsewhere, it limits you to 800 x 800 I think. I sent a PM to Gil to see if we can make the [img] style bigger since they don't take up space on the RRF server...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote:...a file size of less than about 300 kb.
I think it is up now to 500K?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jps wrote:
doctorwho wrote:...a file size of less than about 300 kb.
I think it is up now to 500K?
Could be. It is higher than 300 for sure, but nearly every picture I reduce to a maximum dimension of 1200 winds up being less than 400 kb, and they usually get uploaded with no problem.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I use the "Save for web" window in Photoshop Elements 6 to set the Quality level, therefore the file size and some images can go a lot higher than 500Kb depending on previous manipulations, such as cropping, color balance, exposure adjustments, etc. I do all that in the main window and then I resize the image to where I want it before using the "Save for web" feature.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”