Help identifying my Model B

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jordanzzz

Help identifying my Model B

Post by jordanzzz »

Hi All,

I'm new to the board and I hope this is the right place. I'd like to identify and get some advice on the value of what my research has led me to believe is a 1935-1937 Model B Lap Steel.

The serial # or at least what I think is the serial is crudely stamped on the top of the head stock as C718.

It has the 1 1/2" horseshoe magnet pickup. "PAT PEND" on the pickup mounting flange which I understand as mid 1937 or before. The single volume pot. But I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I'd love to tell you I picked this up at a pawn shop for $20, but it was actually handed down to me from my father so I'm at least positive that this is the real deal.

Much appreciation in advance for any help from a fellow Rick lover. Being a lefty that plays right handed guitars, my first guitar was a custom from the factory. Left handed 12 string electric with the strings set up right handed. Complete with the upside down R on the bridge. I get a lot of confused looks. :D

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Help identifying my Model B

Post by libratune »

Welcome to the Forum! I am not an expert on lapsteels, but I have seen a fair number of photos of them and have a good reference source for dating. Yours appears to be a 1935-36 model, due to the one-control knob feature. Here is the guide I go by for the "B" models:

1935 Model B introduction specs:
Bakelite body and neck, horseshoe pickup, magnet 1 1/2" wide, knurled adjustment nuts on pickup, 1 octagonal knob on treble side, strings anchor thru body, 5 decorative chrome plates, bolt-on neck with integral molded frets. Can have silver or gold plated hardware (plates).
1937 Model B specs:
Chicken-head Pointer knob on treble side, rounded knob on bass side.
1938 Model B specs:
two round knobs with arrows, frets outlined in white, sometimes have plastic control plates.
1939 Model B specs:
Knobs on same side.

As far as value, watch the auctions on ebay. The pre-war "B" lapsteels are quite popular and command a good premium. Average prices appear to be in the $800 area. As yours appears to be in very nice shape with original case, maybe more.

Good luck!
jordanzzz

Post by jordanzzz »

Thanks!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

This is neat, but I'd really like to see your LH/RHS!!! Rare option for sure!
sashasuman

Post by sashasuman »

Does anyone out there know the pitch of the tuning peg screws, or where I can find one? This is NOT one of the screws which mount the assembly to the headstock, rather the screw which threads into the peg itself.
sasha

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”