Lennon 325 Knobs

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mrpicard

Lennon 325 Knobs

Post by mrpicard »

Hi. I have one of the 1990s 325v59 Rickenbackers and I am trying to track down the knobs that were used on John Lennon's guitar around in 1961. What I am looking for is not the Rogan TV knobs, not the Hofner knobs, not the Burns silver knobs. Specifically, I am looking for the knobs as seen on John's guitar in photos taken in December 1961. These appear to be black with a silver top. The silver top appears to have a pointy centre pointing away from the guitar (quite unusual). Has anyone been able to track down these knobs or even a reasonable copy of them? Of course, knowing what radio, TV, HiFi, amplifier or ham radio set they are from would be brilliant :-). Thanks, David.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Got a pic?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
mrpicard

Post by mrpicard »

HI. I have posted a few images on http://homepage.mac.com/david.cittadini/FileSharing21.html

Hope this helps :-)
grinch

Post by grinch »

The same day Lennon put on the Bigsby, he stopped off at a store called "Beaver Radio" and bought some radio knobs that he put on his guitar.

The WITH website used to sell reproductions, and some people have tried ordering specially case ones from this website:

http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/services.html

Hope it helps!
mrpicard

Post by mrpicard »

I will let you know how I get on. The thing I find fascinating about these knobs is that the center point on these knobs is convex and not concave - the point comes out from the knob rather than into the knob like the Burns knobs do. I am not too sure if people pick up on that detail. All you have to do is look at the pattern of light. Anyway, will let you know how I get on...
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

They were used on a specific brand of radio, I can't think of the brand at the moment...Grundig perhaps?
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

mrpicard

Post by mrpicard »

Possibly? What are they from?
mrpicard

Post by mrpicard »

I have been in contact with Larry Bordonaro at Old Time Replications (http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/services.html). He reports that it is an urban legend that he sells or that he can replicate the Lennon knobs :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There are a couple of pics in the Rittor book of these knobs on the guitar.
mrpicard

Post by mrpicard »

It's OK. I found the knobs used between August 1961 and September 1962.
2ricks

Post by 2ricks »

where? I want to get some.

Adam
2ricks

Post by 2ricks »

Adam
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”