325JL Jetglo Black

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

CruisinSusan

325JL Jetglo Black

Post by CruisinSusan »

Hey everyone, my brother is a huuuuge fan of Rickenabacker guitars and has been eyeing a 325 since we were a lot younger. I recently sold a house and he is going through a divorce, so I thought that a nice gift of something that he has wanted for a long time but never would have gotten for himself. I know that these are expensive as the shop I talked to in town wanted $5,000 but I figured I would be able to get one for a lot cheaper if I looked online and bought a Rickenbacker 325 from the seller directly. If anyone knows where to buy one online (google is not being very helpful I keep finding people wanting to sell picture of it) and would be so kind to share the information with me I would be very very grateful :) Thank you
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 325JL Jetglo Black

Post by jdogric12 »

That's very nice of you Susan! You should be able to find one between $2K - $2500 on Reverb.com if you are a little patient, make offers, etc. The asking prices are usually ridiculous on these. They're not as rare as sellers like to make you believe though. Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you want me to offer a second opinion on anything you find.
CruisinSusan

Post by CruisinSusan »

Thanks Jason, that is really kind of you :) I will take a look at Reverb and see if I can set up some notifications, great suggestion.
collin

Post by collin »

Yeah, very nice of you Susan.

It's worth noting - if your brother isn't specifically wanting a "JL" John Lennon limited edition model, the same exact guitar is often available at a much lower price as the 325c64 model. Search for that.

It won't have the Lennon pickguard, but for all intents and purposes the c64 is the same exact guitar (even better in some ways, in my opinion).

Here's a nice one, like new at $2,599: http://rvrb.io/2016-325c64-ejn

And another in mint condition at $2,799 obo: http://rvrb.io/2014-325c64-4ox

Many more in the listings: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=325c64
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Also... didn't want to mention this before, but on second thought it might be worth adding to the discussion...

Does he REALLY want a "Lennon" guitar? many find the short scale hard to play. A lot of folks just get a "regular" Rick model like a 330 or 360, and are still able to get the desired sound out of it. To us snobs, it aint' the same, but most people are actually sane and don't mind the differences, and are happy to sacrifice 100% perfection, to have something more playable (and cheaper!)
CruisinSusan

Post by CruisinSusan »

jdogric12 wrote:Also... didn't want to mention this before, but on second thought it might be worth adding to the discussion...

Does he REALLY want a "Lennon" guitar? many find the short scale hard to play. A lot of folks just get a "regular" Rick model like a 330 or 360, and are still able to get the desired sound out of it. To us snobs, it aint' the same, but most people are actually sane and don't mind the differences, and are happy to sacrifice 100% perfection, to have something more playable (and cheaper!)
I can't say for him for sure, but he is a huge fan of Lennon so I imagine that is a big part of why he wants the 325. I will keep that in mind though!
CruisinSusan

Post by CruisinSusan »

CruisinSusan wrote:Hey everyone, my brother is a huuuuge fan of Rickenabacker guitars and has been eyeing a 325 since we were a lot younger. I recently sold a house and he is going through a divorce, so I thought that a nice gift of something that he has wanted for a long time but never would have gotten for himself. I know that these are expensive as the shop I talked to in town wanted $5,000 but I figured I would be able to get one for a lot cheaper if I looked online and bought a Rickenbacker 325 from the seller directly. If anyone knows where to buy one online (google is not being very helpful I keep finding people wanting to sell picture of it) and would be so kind to share the information with me I would be very very grateful :) Thank you
Thanks for all the advice and questions everyone, I just got off the phone with a private seller and I think I will soon be giving my brother his dream guitar. I told him I was going to get into guitar and looking at one for myself so I might send him a picture of this one when it arrives and play dumb just to mess with him a little but. I think he will love it, thanks again everyone!
collin

Post by collin »

Sounds good, hope he likes it. Share a pic of the guitar when it arrives!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”