325v63 truss rod issue

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Lewis1965

325v63 truss rod issue

Post by Lewis1965 »

Hi fellas

I have a 325v63 and a 325c58...The c58 has a perfectly straight neck and the action is dreamy low with no buzz which makes it beautiful to play...My v63 has a higher action with some relief on the neck which I wanted to correct to make as low action as my c58 model...So I decided to tighten the truss rod to make the neck straighter...

So...I undid the nut and added a drop of oil then started to tighten the nut and it moved smoothly and did somewhat straighten the neck...As I wanted the neck to be as straight as I could get it I tightened it again so the nut did a full half turn from where it was before...although this final adjustment didn't seem to make any more difference...I decided to leave it and did manage to get the action down a bit...but not straight...The neck still had a small amount of relief

Then...

The problem:...When it came to put the truss rod cover back on I realised that the nut had changed its angle and was now protruding out at an angle above its slot in the headstock making it foul the area that the truss rod cover occupied...

I decided to slacken off the nut and it made some difference to this area...I also took the nut off and grinded it at the external end to help with this issue...(see photos)

So I now have a truss rod that is not adjusted to the extent I would like because the truss rod cover wouldn't fit otherwise...and it still touches the truss rod cover...I may need to use some rubber washers in order for the cover to clear the nut now...Not ideal!

Any ideas on this issue?...Anyone had this issue?

Thanks for the help...
Regards Lewis

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 325v63 truss rod issue

Post by jps »

Post some photos of the heel end of the neck where the other end of the rod is. You will have to pull the neck pickup off and out of the way so we can see what's there.

What year is your guitar?
Lewis1965

Post by Lewis1965 »

Hi...

The guitar is a 1999 model...Probably not going to de-string it and remove the pickup...What is the reason I should do that?...Is there something there that can help with this?

Thanks for your reply buddy...

Lewis
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hard to help you when possibly useful information is withheld. :wink:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

That is a truss rod with a bent end, probably done by a previous owner or tech who wasn't careful enough about how the adjustment was being done. I have seen this more than once on used Rickenbackers that I have bought.
Lewis1965 wrote:
... What is the reason I should do that?...Is there something there that can help with this? ....

Lewis
That's where the other end of the truss rod is located, so the idea is to see whether that end looks O.K. or if it's messed up, too.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”