The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

1980 320 Project

Post by rkbsound »

Rickenbacker 320 TD1620 Body resize.JPG
Rickenbacker 320 TD1620 Guitar resize.JPG
Here is a 1980 320 that has been in the register that I picked up. It was factory Jetglo and refinished at least once to Ruby (record 37409). It was stripped again and the owner decided not to continue working on it. The pickups and harness were sold and so I had Winfield get it into playable condition. Since I didn't have pickups, we decided to go with some Kay Vanguard gold foils from the 1960s. These are low output but do sound really good. I am going for a more over-driven tone. I now have a set of high gains so I could put them on if I wind up not liking the gold foils, but for now I really like the look and sound. Overall investment is extremely low so I couldn't pass it up. I have updated the record with the Admin so eventually it will show up adjusted.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: 1980 320 Project

Post by scott_s »

Cool project! It’s one of those things where you can do lots of things and not feel too guilty about it. If the gold-foils are really low output, maybe just putting a toaster or Hi-Gain in the bridge would balance out well. I have a 7.4k toaster in the neck and 12k Hi-Gain in the bridge of my 330 and really like that config.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”