NOT TO BE MISSED

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
admin
Site Admin

Re: NOT TO BE MISSED

Post by admin »

Beautifully done. Thanks for this video, Geoff. A masterpiece.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

Yes Peter an amazing piece of work, answers to questions that we have pondered over for years. This is a must see video for any one interested in the real story of the beginnings of the so called ' Liverpool Invasion'.
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Having watched the video from start to finish, what I didn’t previously fully appreciate was the depth of animosity that persisted for fifty years between Hutchinson and Gustafson. Even with Johnny Gustafson as close to the end as he was when the recording was made, I got the feeling he didn’t want to be in the same room with Johnny Hutchinson. There must have been a major falling out between the pair. Brian Griffiths, on the other hand and by his own admission, was something of an outsider of the three, but even he eventually sided with Gustafson against Hutchinson.

Though, it was good to see an older and apparently wiser Brian Griffiths after all these years. Canada seems to have been a good move for him. Of the three he had the least stage presence, he was always seemingly rooted to the spot focused on his power guitar playing, apparently happy to allow the other two to do all the animating. The only time I did see Brian Griffiths sometimes move was at the end of a number when he’d go round the back of the amp, bend down and take a swig out of a pint glass of brown ale.

Perhaps, not as technically gifted as the other Liverpool virtuoso guitarist of the time, the Remo Four’s Colin Manley, Brian Griffith’s playing style was all about power which suited The Big 3’s aggressive sound perfectly. When he decided to get into top gear he could motor along at speed as one or two other of his fellow guitarist’s have testified to during the recording. The tragedy of it all is that Big 3 sound was never duplicated on record – you just had to be there to hear it.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

Burning the midnight oil Peter,!! it is on record that I had quite a lot to do with Cass and the Casanovas ,I was a fly on the wall at most of the discussions when Cass decided to leave the group, also to take some credit for persuading Adrian a fellow Yorkshire man to carry on , he was concerned that with just three musicians in the
group they would not compete with other groups; under no circumstances would they consider bringing in other musicians. At this point Adrian had the bright idea to manufacture his famous 'Coffin Amps', I use the word manufacture because within a short time , the groups were clambering for them. i agree with your observation's Peter, on the merits of the musical skills of Griff ' and Colin '.
I have jousted with you in other post's on this forum mainly on giving credit to Noel Walker the producer of 'Stomping at the Cavern' . in conversation with him he divulged that his brief from 'Decca' was to organise the recording strictly in the Cavern under no circumstances in the studio, records reveal that he spent at least three days in the Cavern space attempting to achieve decent sound quality.

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”