Veteran RRF member

Re: Thalia capos

Post by nukebass »

Those look interesting.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I got in on the Kickstarter. Should be arriving Q1 2015.
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

got one as a gift for guitarist in my band for xmas. it was a BEAUTIFUL capo with KOA wood inlay. he loves it and says the craftsmanship is top notch.
i will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I read they have been having some teething problems with the first couple of batches but are working to take care of these issues.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Mine is very pretty but to be honest, I don't like it as much as my Kyser.

It slides a bit too easily (it is basically impossible to play an open B7 chord and not have the capo slide over a bit) and I find it too stiff to clamp on and off with one hand. The D and G strings are occasionally buzzy as well.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sloop_john_b wrote:Mine is very pretty but to be honest, I don't like it as much as my Kyser.

It slides a bit too easily (it is basically impossible to play an open B7 chord and not have the capo slide over a bit) and I find it too stiff to clamp on and off with one hand. The D and G strings are occasionally buzzy as well.
Those sound just like the issues they are trying to resolve. You should contact them so they can send you a replacement or whatever parts they are supplying in the accessory kit.

I use Shubb and NS Pro capos.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

This thread is nearly 6 years old but I am considering a capo for my Taylor acoustic and came across this brand. They look pretty but are expensive. That being said, it is a one-off purchase and if they work great I might get one. Anyone have any current experience with them? Thanks.
T28

Post by T28 »

My guitarist got one and kinda likes it but has reverted back to a regular capo.
I use an Elliot capo myself. First class construction and hard to beat/
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

T28 wrote:My guitarist got one and kinda likes it but has reverted back to a regular capo.
I use an Elliot capo myself. First class construction and hard to beat/
Did he/she not like it because it caused the strings to go slightly sharp, or for some other reason (if you know)? Thanks.
T28

Post by T28 »

Yes, I believe it was tuning issues. Setup time and consistency were the issues.
Difficult to put on and off quickly when in the middle of sets at gigs.

Have you checked out the Elliott capos?
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Well, I just bought a Shubb "Deluxe" model but was thinking of getting another for some bling factor. But, if tuning stability is an issue I don't want one. They are too expensive to buy before trying them out.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Yeah I have a Thalia capo and it was expensive as I live in the UK but I wouldn't recommend one. The spring mechanism on them is very powerful. It is well made but due to the spring it makes them feel awkward to put on and off. I have since bought the latest G7 capo which I really rate and easy to use. The Thalia is going on eBay very soon. Also the Thalia didn't work well on my Taylor 12 string which is strung like a Rick.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

scoobster28 wrote:Well, I just bought a Shubb "Deluxe" model but was thinking of getting another for some bling factor. But, if tuning stability is an issue I don't want one. They are too expensive to buy before trying them out.
I recently bought my first Shubb capo. I’m really pleased by how it works on electrics, compared to my Kysers.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Shubbs are great capos; got my first on in the mid '80s. NS capos are just as great, too. I don't want bling in my capos, I want capability.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”