The Rickenbacker Moment That Brought You Onboard

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: The Rickenbacker Moment That Brought You Onboard

Post by Tommy »

bvstudios wrote:..the Rick 12 was my Holy Grail...It only took 39 years, .
That's a loooong time from seeing to owning.
I started playing guitar in 1990. Bought my Ric 12 string in 1992. Two years. And I thought it was an eternity. But 39 years?
SixtyFour
Veteran RRF member

Post by SixtyFour »

Rickenbacker... for myself, and all that is attached to its name.

The Beatles, primarily George’s first 12 string in the movie AHDN... the Revolver album ~ Paul’s 4001s and its many incarnations.

“Rickenbacker: The History of the Rickenbacker Guitars” ~ Richard Smith / (apologies ~ Paul Boyer) read cover to cover many times over.

Chris Squire ~ Rickenbacker/RM 1999*
Roger Waters*
Pete Quaife *
John Entwistle*
Donovan*
Mike Rutherford*

The RM 1999 has a certain mystique attached to it... is it because of the players who had them or its scarcity? I cannot define it in words.

In conclusion... Rickenbacker.
1991 4001CS - D4 8646 / D4 8099 MIA
pathelms

Post by pathelms »

I guess it has to start with Dylan, via Desire - which was only a few years old when I was introduced to it. From there, I bought Highway 61 and the greatest hits. So, one day when I was searching through the cut outs at the Rickety Rack Record Shack, I pulled out a copy of The Byrds’ Mr Tambourine Man and I thought “why not?” They were not totally foreign to me. I’d seen snippets of the Byrds in sixties documentaries from television and knew they had done Turn! Turn! Turn!, but I had never absorbed their music until I started listening to that album. That was in 1978 - possibly the most remote year from sixties music and style we ever experienced as a civilization. A 12 string Rickenbacker was probably the most exotic and out of place guitar in the world, both in sound and look - and I was instantly smitten by them. I wasn’t sure they were still even being made anymore! I never saw them in any guitar stores or anyone playing one on The Midnight Special. So, by the time I had all of the important Byrds albums (which is all of them) in ‘81, I thought I was the only guy left on the planet who wanted one. Then, one day, like a foot print in the sand, REM’s Radio Free Europe single stepped out of the Knoxville college radio station. Then Let’s Active. Then The Long Riders. The Rain Parade. Rest is history. So, the “moment?” Don’t know precisely, somewhere between Feel A Whole Lot Better and Bells of Rhymney, while looking at the back cover trying to discern Jim’s 360-12 in the shadows along with Dylan there and Cros’ stripe shirt - thinking, damn.......it’s 1978.
Attachments
414E877C-3580-496E-A8D0-C1AE38847214.jpeg
Unicoil

Post by Unicoil »

1979, The Jam, Setting Sons, "Thick As Thieves", @1:36
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

For me, probably The Jam in the late 70's (i'm in the UK!), with both PW and BF playing Ricks....

Also, later, Mani from Stone Roses used a John Squire-customised 4005.

I was looking at possibly buying Mani's "spare" 4005 (Jetglo 74) when it went up for sale a few years back, but I didn't have the dosh.

(I think this bass may still be for sale in Denmark Street, LDN..?)
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”