What's the Fascination with Old Instruments?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teeder

Re: What's the Fascination with Old Instruments?

Post by teeder »

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news Kevin, but yes, it does. I think Tommy was very clear early on in this thread.
Great, now I have to start 2021 knowing this?
I was previously secure in my insecurity.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote:
I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news Kevin, but yes, it does. I think Tommy was very clear early on in this thread.
Great, now I have to start 2021 knowing this?
I was previously secure in my insecurity.
You'll get over it. :wink:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

teeder wrote:*** Warning ***

Snobbery abounds in this picture!
IMG_20200307_131232970 small.jpg
Okay, that is an awesome trio! I've had major Alembic GAS lately. I wanted a Spoiler until I found an old Talkbass thread where JPS mentioned that his had a weak neck. :(
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Both Alembic I had did so. But they were both 3-piece necks with no laminations in between them so thay may have contributed to the problem, possibly. If I were to get another Alembic (I am currently seeking donations to the cause) it will have more laminations in the neck.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jps wrote:Both Alembic I had did so. But they were both 3-piece necks with no laminations in between them so thay may have contributed to the problem, possibly. If I were to get another Alembic (I am currently seeking donations to the cause) it will have more laminations in the neck.
To be clear, does that mean they needed frequent truss rod adjustments?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sloop_john_b wrote:
jps wrote:Both Alembic I had did so. But they were both 3-piece necks with no laminations in between them so thay may have contributed to the problem, possibly. If I were to get another Alembic (I am currently seeking donations to the cause) it will have more laminations in the neck.
To be clear, does that mean they needed frequent truss rod adjustments?
It means they needed constant retuning of the strings. The truss rods pretty much never had to be readjusted on them, maybe once on each bass, perhaps.
teeder

Post by teeder »

I had wanted an Alembic since the '80's, especially when the Distillates came out. I finally found this one with the features I wanted, medium scale, 1-11/16 nut, super nice wood, but it was very uncomfortable to play and I really didn't care for the tone. I tried to get used to it for about a year, but gave up and sold it. :cry:
I did love how dead quiet it was!

Truth be told, I have a hard time playing anything other than my P-bass and an old Martin D-21 anymore.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote:I had wanted an Alembic since the '80's, especially when the Distillates came out. I finally found this one with the features I wanted, medium scale, 1-11/16 nut, super nice wood, but it was very uncomfortable to play and I really didn't care for the tone. I tried to get used to it for about a year, but gave up and sold it. :cry:
I did love how dead quiet it was!

Truth be told, I have a hard time playing anything other than my P-bass and an old Martin D-21 anymore.
Getting old and set in your ways, Kevin? :wink:
teeder

Post by teeder »

Could be, along with a touch of laziness! :lol:
It's much easier to just grab the bass that's in the stand than it is to get another out of the closet and open the case. :mrgreen:

And then there are changing interests. Do I want to keep the old Rick or put the money towards a new greenhouse &/or tractor? :?
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

It's funny--I usually prefer the looks of vintage instruments, but the benefits of having a new guitar. So actually vintage reissues are great for what I like about guitars!
teeder

Post by teeder »

Clifton wrote:It's funny--I usually prefer the looks of vintage instruments, but the benefits of having a new guitar. So actually vintage reissues are great for what I like about guitars!
Nothing wrong with that.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I admire them for what they are, but being vintage doesn't necessarily mean its a a great guitar. I've had some pre-CBS fenders that were to die for, and have played some Custom shop re-issues that were just as good.

Give me a nice vintage reissue, and I'm fine.

I really like where Rickenbacker has been going the last few years, the walnut wings, check binding tossed in here and there, available vintage pups. Still lusting for a V68 re-issue.
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”