Mapleglo

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sugarcane

Mapleglo

Post by Sugarcane »

Has that finish always been issued by Rickenbacker along with fireglo and "natural"? I see Mapleglo more like a blonde finish, rather than a natural.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Mapleglo

Post by jdogric12 »

Sérgio wrote:Has that finish always been issued by Rickenbacker along with fireglo and "natural"? I see Mapleglo more like a blonde finish, rather than a natural.
https://web.archive.org/web/20030203093 ... icinfo.htm
collin

Post by collin »

Considering that the "Fireglo" that we know today wasn't really standardized in 1958, you could really make a case that both Fireglo and Mapleglo were introduced the same year, in 1959.
Sérgio wrote:I see Mapleglo more like a blonde finish, rather than a natural.
Both Mapleglo and "Natural" (the term used prior to 1959) are the same thing - a clear coat over sealed wood. But the wood type differed until 1959, when maple became standard (hence, Mapleglo). Prior to that, bodies were made of other materials including alder.

A "blonde" finish in the guitar world typically means a transparent off-white color over Ash wood, which is what Fender standardized in the 1950s. You may be referring to various levels of ambering in the mapleglo, which happens over time as the clear coat yellows.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I had an alder '63 900 "MG." I never should have sold that guitar (which I realize I've said many times, yes)
teeder

Post by teeder »

jdogric12 wrote:I had an alder '63 900 "MG." I never should have sold that guitar (which I realize I've said many times, yes)
I bet that sounded great!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

teeder wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I had an alder '63 900 "MG." I never should have sold that guitar (which I realize I've said many times, yes)
I bet that sounded great!
You'd think it would be terrible, but it was really a great guitar. I even gigged with it a few times in pit orchestra gigs.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”