310 Tuners

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

guitar-murph

310 Tuners

Post by guitar-murph »

I recently acquired a very nice 1980 (TLnnnn) model 310 in mapleglo. It is in excellent condition with a nicely flamed back. I bugs me, however, that at some some the tuners were changed out for mini Grovers. See attached photo. My questions are these: Rickenbacker offers in their boutique a 'short shaft' and a 'long shaft' version of the retro Kluson tuners. Which would be the appropriate type? In addition, I have been told that when the Grovers were installed, the holes would have been enlarged in order to make them fit, and as such I will need adapter bushings to go with the tuners. Finally, I have a 1965 model 625 which has been beat up, routed for a humbucker in the bridge, jack plate removed, etc. etc. It would cost me more than I want to pay to have it restored. But I thought about moving the tuners (and the roller bridge) from this guitar to the aforementioned 310. The roller bridge I am considering because I want to convert it to a 315. Thoughts? comments? advice?
guitar-murph

Re: 310 Tuners

Post by guitar-murph »

Well apparently I did something wrong as the picture I attempted to upload is not showing up.
rickendelic

Post by rickendelic »

you might want to find out which conversion bushings you'll need first, and test fit one of the 625 tuners on it when you get them.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

There are a lot of notes in various places with regard to picture posting problems. The file needs to have minimum dimensions as well as overall file size, so you probably exceeded one or both.

My 1980-ish (can't remember the exact date of the top of my head) 310 LH had replaced tuners ...
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
collin

Post by collin »

Generally speaking (depending on headstock thickness, which varied), you need the short tuners from RIC.

These are also the same as Kluson Deluxe 3+3 tuners, if you want to go that route instead of the RIC branded parts.

You'll also need a set of 3/8" adapter bushings, which are commonly available on all the guitar parts pages.

....any chance you are interested in selling your 625 husk? :D
guitar-murph

Post by guitar-murph »

Might be willing to let the 625 carcass go after I finish the business with the tuners. It appears to have originally been fireglo stripped/refinished to mapleglo. Original wiring harness with pots which date to the 40th week of 1964. As such, it could be a late 64 or an early 65 model. Can't say since the jack plate was replaced with a single generic type. Also has an extra switch (similar to the pickup selector) installed. Has a stop tailpiece installed and a humbucker in the bridge. Original TRC, wiring harness, tuners, knobs, and toaster in the neck position. Very nice crushed pearl inlay, but the frets are around 50% remaining. To restore this guitar would take time and money, and the filling of numerous holes...including the routing for the humbucker. The only option then would be a solid dark color in order to hide this work.
guitar-murph

Post by guitar-murph »

Maybe not completely historically accurate, but they look good. Would these work?
https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... uners.html
collin

Post by collin »

Thanks Terry, PM sent.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”