“Who the F... is Roger Rossmeisl?”

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Wizz

“Who the F... is Roger Rossmeisl?”

Post by Wizz »

Spotted this on YouTube and thought it worth sharing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc70VuGNOY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc70VuGNOY4[/youtube]

When I checked the title on IMDB to see when it was going to be available it says it was released in Sept of 2020 but I can’t find any further info and the only trailer I can find was only put up 3 weeks ago so maybe it’s being pushed back due to covid and IMDb just wasn’t updated? Anyone know anything about it? Despite the lazy title and the interviews with people that clearly didn’t know him I’m interested in seeing this.

What is your favourite Rossmeisl guitar/bass design outside of the Ric banner?

Mine is the Kustom K200 they were only made in 1968 and 1969, total Ric vibes on the body shape but with some Gretsch attributes (Bigsby and Dynasonics) and a VERY thin neck ala Mosrite. I’ve only ever played one and stupidly passed on buying it in favour of a Pre-CBS Mustang and have been kicking myself ever since.
Attachments
DF9D8A4C-4172-4ED9-A943-9F2516476A4E.jpeg
C1755D8F-884E-447B-A6CF-DE602E6E6A00.jpeg
Wizz

Re: “Who the F... is Roger Rossmeisl?”

Post by Wizz »

Hmm can anyone help me out with how to properly add a YouTube video to a post? Apparently I’m not getting it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

1. paste the link you get when you click "share" on youtube
2. delete everything but the last section
3. Select what's left and click the RRF's "youtube" button
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

thanks for sharing the trailer... would be interesting to see the documentary at one point, indeed.

My fav? I bought a '66 Fender Coronado II and it's so hard to put down all other guitars are getting neglected.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin

Post by collin »

A.) Nice to see Rossmeisl get some more love. He is absolutely a massive part of the history of Rickenbacker guitars, not to mention key parts of Fender history too.

B.) Who the F thought an entire documentary about the guy would have mass appeal? That's a pretty big gamble!

C.) I get a sense that the people they interviewed asked "Who the F is Roger Rossmeisl?" right before the turned the camera on. Talk about a strange collection of people that are unrelated to Roger's story...
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

A documentary on Roger Rossmeisl? Forget him. How about giving us a ten episode series about the guy who designed the 381v69. Some unknown name responsible for an exquisite work of art. He's (or she's) the person who should have a documentary film in their honor.

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Tommy wrote:A documentary on Roger Rossmeisl? Forget him. How about giving us a ten episode series about the guy who designed the 381v69. Some unknown name responsible for an exquisite work of art. He's (or she's) the person who should have a documentary film in their honor.
I would have thought RR designed the 381 as well. He didn't?
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

jdogric12 wrote:
Had to pull out some of my Ric books. It appears the German carve on Rickenbackers was from Roger's father - Wenzel. But, yeah, the rest of the bells and whistles on a 381 were Roger's design. However, let's be honest, it is the German carve that is the most distinctive and gorgeous quality of the 381. That seems to be Wenzel's doing.
collin

Post by collin »

Tommy wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:
Had to pull out some of my Ric books. It appears the German carve on Rickenbackers was from Roger's father - Wenzel. But, yeah, the rest of the bells and whistles on a 381 were Roger's design. However, let's be honest, it is the German carve that is the most distinctive and gorgeous quality of the 381. That seems to be Wenzel's doing.

Wenzel didn't invent the German carve, he just popularized it again with his line of "Roger" guitars named after his son.

Roger did, however, build the first 381 models (the Capri design in the late 50s), and then designed the 360(later 360) body shape as we know it.

Even if he wasn't around RIC in the late 60s, the "381" as most people think of it, is a combination of Roger's design + Roger's technique. He certainly should get some credit for these contributions.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I tried to search for the company "Permanent Films" to see if I could get more info from them, but all of the matches I saw were listings for permanent coatings ... :shock: :lol: 8)

Sort of like having a band named "To Be Announced" .... nobody could ever find you! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

doctorwho wrote: Sort of like having a band named "To Be Announced" .... nobody could ever find you!
Try finding music or videos or articles about The Church.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Tommy wrote:
doctorwho wrote: Sort of like having a band named "To Be Announced" .... nobody could ever find you!
Try finding music or videos or articles about The Church.
or the band named The Music!

Maybe they're busy chasing people to interview, who knows... that vitnage footage, is that actually Roger?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I’d like to see the film. Roger Rossmeisl created designs I can look at and play on for hours.
Early Fender Malibu acoustics are nice strummers.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

electrofaro wrote:that vitnage footage, is that actually Roger?
It is, yup.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”