Finding Rics to test drive?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

skipkirkwood

Finding Rics to test drive?

Post by skipkirkwood »

Greetings from Raleigh NC USA.

So, I want to buy a Ric - 360/12 or 370/12. But I'm just not comfortable ordering something off the web, without having "fondled" it or even laid eyeballs on it.

The challenge? None of the large or small guitar shops around here stock anything even close, even those that are listed as "authorized dealers."

I suspect that I could travel to NYC or Chicago and physically find what I'm looking for - but both are a good distance away. Any other ideas? I know that I could order something from one of the big on-line vendors and use their "money back guarantee" thing - but if I'm buying I'd like to have whatever professionally set up, etc.

Anybody else have this problem? Any great ideas?

In advance, thanks to all.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Finding Rics to test drive?

Post by jps »

skipkirkwood wrote:Greetings from Raleigh NC USA.

So, I want to buy a Ric - 360/12 or 370/12. But I'm just not comfortable ordering something off the web, without having "fondled" it or even laid eyeballs on it.

The challenge? None of the large or small guitar shops around here stock anything even close, even those that are listed as "authorized dealers."

I suspect that I could travel to NYC or Chicago and physically find what I'm looking for - but both are a good distance away. Any other ideas? I know that I could order something from one of the big on-line vendors and use their "money back guarantee" thing - but if I'm buying I'd like to have whatever professionally set up, etc.

Anybody else have this problem? Any great ideas?

In advance, thanks to all.
If we knew where you lived, there could possibly be an RRF member not too far from you with something you could try out, first.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I'm not sure about Forum members in your area, but there is a former Rickenbacker dealer in Raleigh NC, Mike Parks, who now sells used Rickenbackers. He has a webpage called The Rickenbacker Page:

http://www.the-music-connection.com/ric.htm

He currently has a 330/12 Mapleglo listed there for sale. I don't know if he would let you check it out in person, but it's worth checking. I bought both my 360CW JG and 730L MG new from him and he is a good guy to deal with. Mention the RickResource Forum if/when you contact him.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

First things first... are you ok with skinny necks with tight string spacing?
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

12's 003 copy.jpg
...and are you comfortable with a situation where your picking has to happen in the rather small spaces between the pickups on a 370? I suspect that a lot of folks are more comfortable picking in the big space between the pickups on a 360.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

teb wrote:I suspect that a lot of folks are more comfortable picking in the big space between the pickups on a 360.

I see that complaint on these forums too, but I've never had a problem with it. My McGuinn is one of my favorite Ricks to play.
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

It took me all of about 8 hours over a week or so to make the adjustment (my other mainstay is a 2 pup Gretsch with much more room). Now it's purely automatic.
Jubal81

Post by Jubal81 »

Willcutt guitars in Lexington, KY, has a pretty good selection, but it's about an 8-hour drive from Raleigh.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”