How do you get your Rickenbacker’s appraised for insurance?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

marantz2010

How do you get your Rickenbacker’s appraised for insurance?

Post by marantz2010 »

I recently got a 4001CS and figured it was time to have individual insurance policies for my basses.

For those of you with personal articles individually insured, what service did you use to get an appraisal? My insurance company suggested Christie’s, but that seems a little dramatic.

What say you?
I like Rickenbacker basses, especially the good ones.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Re: How do you get your Rickenbacker’s appraised for insuran

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Over the years I've probably spent more on insurance than my stuff is worth. Now that's a racket!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
collin

Post by collin »

No offense with this, but I think you have the wrong insurance company.

Any instrument insurance should be covered at stated value only - no appraisal needed. If that 4001CS has $50k worth of sentimental value to you, then you should be able to insure it to that amount and pay for that level of coverage.

For that reason, Heritage insurance is the gold standard in the industry. They cover any instrument up to $150k without an appraisal at stated value. It’s around $0.60 per $100 insured for the annual premium and that includes all normal insurance and shipping coverage as well. I can’t recommend them highly enough. I know a couple people who have had to file claims with Heritage and it’s a seamless process.
marantz2010

Post by marantz2010 »

collin wrote:No offense with this, but I think you have the wrong insurance company.

Any instrument insurance should be covered at stated value only - no appraisal needed. If that 4001CS has $50k worth of sentimental value to you, then you should be able to insure it to that amount and pay for that level of coverage.

For that reason, Heritage insurance is the gold standard in the industry. They cover any instrument up to $150k without an appraisal at stated value. It’s around $0.60 per $100 insured for the annual premium and that includes all normal insurance and shipping coverage as well. I can’t recommend them highly enough. I know a couple people who have had to file claims with Heritage and it’s a seamless process.
Edit: I looked into Heritage. I'm glad to see a company which specializes in insuring musical instruments, although I did see their fine print says their minimum annual premium for a policy is $200. I don't exactly need to insure my 4001CS (or other basses) for the amount that policy would be equal to.

I have been advised by my current homeowners insurance that I could be looking at less than $100 annually for a couple bass guitars--I just would need to provide an appraisal to prove their value. And to speak about the insurance need, I have the 4001CS and a handful of other basses which I would be very sad if they went up in flames or were stolen. I don't remember what standard homeowners insurance covers, but I think it maxes out at something like $500 for an instrument. I'd be hard pressed to get a replacement CS for that much money. :wink:
I like Rickenbacker basses, especially the good ones.
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

collin

Post by collin »

In that case, your best bet might be Gruhn Guitars in Nashville.

Gruhn specialize in vintage guitars so I’m not sure they can appraise the CS, but if so, you won’t get a more respected appraisal on an instrument than George Gruhn. They’ll do appraisals based on photos.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Word on the street is, all the major HO companies (Allstate, State Farm, etc) are happy to write you a special rider or policy for instruments, but can be a nightmare to deal with when the time comes to file a claim.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Most policies cover musical instruments for in-home collections only - if you're a working musician, your instruments aren't covered for theft or damage.

Heritage Insurance covers it all. Highly recommended.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

(I imagine musical instrument insurance differs in the US compared with the UK).
This is how my cover works.
As a gigging musician in Britain (and trips to Europe) I use Allianz for my insurance.
The company is recognised as a good insurer with lots of experience with bands and orchestras etc.
(The MU also offers members £1000 cover with Allianz their membership).

My gear is covered for unattended vehicle loss fire theft repairable damage and so on.
As for insuring a treasured instrument which could be hard and expensive to replace after theft or damage they have a limit beyond which you need a reputable dealer or expert to appraise.

I think at the end of the day you have to weigh up the risks before shelling out for cover you may never need. People can be a bit too paranoid about protecting guitars when one sees the cotton wool treatment they give them to be frank.
If its home use only (and house contents insurance isnt always recommended for individual expensive musical items) a basic type of cover from an experienced musical instrument insurer is the best bet.
Seek the advice of your musicians union or similar organisation.
Chat with gigging pros to see what they do.
Best of luck.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”