Tuning Issues

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

LarryM2

Tuning Issues

Post by LarryM2 »

I have a sweet 360/6 string Rickenbacker Natural and absolutely love it. However I'm having issues with keeping it in tune and sometimes I can't even get it to tune up. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an easy fix for it? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
collin

Re: Tuning Issues

Post by collin »

Welcome Larry.

Tuning issues can happen anywhere along the string path, from the tuners to the nut to the bridge.

I would first suggest the simplest fix, which is lubricating the slots in the nut with a graphite pencil. Make sure you stretch your strings while changing them too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

LarryM2 wrote:I have a sweet 360/6 string Rickenbacker Natural and absolutely love it. However I'm having issues with keeping it in tune and sometimes I can't even get it to tune up. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an easy fix for it? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
How are you attaching the strings to the tuning key posts?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Did you increase string gauge? larger strings can bind in the nut if you don't widen the slots. I had a guy foolishly return a guitar I sold on Reverb that was perfectly fine for this reason. Thanks, I'll take that restocking fee :)
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jdogric12 wrote:Did you increase string gauge? larger strings can bind in the nut if you don't widen the slots. I had a guy foolishly return a guitar I sold on Reverb that was perfectly fine for this reason. Thanks, I'll take that restocking fee :)
This ^ Try a set of 11's. A good, inexpensive set that sounds good is the D'Addario XL115 or XL115W if you like a wound 3rd G string.

And as above, check everything on the guitar: balls of the strings seated properly in the anchors, all four bridge screws level at the preferred action height, the bridge saddle notches lubricated with a pencil, the saddles are properly cut and burnished to have a good witness point for the strings with no burrs to catch a string, the nut slots are the proper width and contour, with a good witness edge sloping back and down to the tuners, the strings are properly wound around the tuners with one neat spiral of wraps, not overlapping or kinking, the tuners are checked for backlash, and as you tune the string, always tune up, not down, to keep the strings stable. If you go too sharp, relax the string to a little below the pitch, give the string a slight tug, and tune back up from below pitch.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

A belated welcome, Larry!
iiipopes wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:Did you increase string gauge? larger strings can bind in the nut if you don't widen the slots. I had a guy foolishly return a guitar I sold on Reverb that was perfectly fine for this reason. Thanks, I'll take that restocking fee :)
This ^ Try a set of 11's. A good, inexpensive set that sounds good is the D'Addario XL115 or XL115W if you like a wound 3rd G string.

And as above, check everything on the guitar: balls of the strings seated properly in the anchors, all four bridge screws level at the preferred action height, the bridge saddle notches lubricated with a pencil, the saddles are properly cut and burnished to have a good witness point for the strings with no burrs to catch a string, the nut slots are the proper width and contour, with a good witness edge sloping back and down to the tuners, the strings are properly wound around the tuners with one neat spiral of wraps, not overlapping or kinking, the tuners are checked for backlash, and as you tune the string, always tune up, not down, to keep the strings stable. If you go too sharp, relax the string to a little below the pitch, give the string a slight tug, and tune back up from below pitch.
Everything he said!

It would us to diagnose your tuning issues if we knew the following:

(1) are all strings affected?
(2) is the action set to normal height?
(3) is the neck straight (no bow or twist)?
( 4) what year is your guitar?

What would also help would be some pictures of the tuning pegs, the nut, and the bridge. 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”