Hessy's Music Store Again

History and music of Liverpool
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Re: Hessy's Music Store Again

Post by 13_temple_street »

Yes Jim,the club you referred to in your excellent article was the Royal Tiger. the owner was Bill Gregson who was the band leader of Bill Gregson's Dance Band at the New Brighton Tower Ballroom this band was resident at the ballroom they enjoyed a lengthy and very successful time at New Brighton .in late 1961 Sam Leach started promoting events on a regular basis with Operation Big Beat shows. the Beatles performed at many of the earlier shows at one of these an audience of over 4,000 people were in attendance this event was the largest audience the Beatles played to in the UK .rock & Roll had arrived at the Tower bringing with it the sad demise of Bill Gregson & his Dance Band.
All was not lost, Bill had another string to his baton(bow) he had a very profitable day time job in the shape of coach tour proprietor he had numerous buses in his fleet all were Leyland Tigers I suspect the more luxurious ones were Royal Tigers.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hello All,

My name is Gerard Fleming, I'm a Liverpool photographer and big Beatles fan, along my little journey of photographing unusual Liverpool Beatles related places I've become involved with Bill Harry, I take pics of Bills events whenever he is up in Liverpool... watch my website !!!
I'm also good friends with Sam Leach, who I've done a bit of photography work for and hopefully will again in the future..

I'm also involved with band members from the 60's Mersey Beat scene who run the Mersey Cats charity organisation, I take pics for them as well..

On the Frank Hessy's situation (My Son is a record producer/music teacher...I got him his 1st decent amp...a Peavey Bandit, from Hessys many moons ago) I'm involved with a great fella called Tony Bolland, Tony was a well respected drummer and vocalist on the Liverpool 1970's music scene, Tony propably knows more about Hessys and the Liverpool music scene and the musicians than anybody..Tony was manager of Hessys..and also worked in another legendary Liverpool music shop called Plug Inn on Wavertree Rd..

Tony has a book out called ... Plug Inn..the forgotten years...lots in it about Hessys and the Liverpool music scene in the 1970's..

I have a website showing all my Liverpool related photographs, inc Mersey Cats events featuring the likes of Pete Best, Beryl Marsden, Billy Kinsley, Phil Jones, Geoff Nugent etc.. see the various albums on my site..linked below...

Theres a few albums dedicated to Bill Harry, Interview, and lots of Bills personal photos Bill adds to my website.

Lots of pics from the 70's music scene in the album dedicated to Tony Bolland...follow the links to Tonys website for info on Plug Inn 1..and the new Plug Inn 2

This is Liverpool Days.. my website of everything Liverpool... new and old... >>> http://liverpooldays.com/photo/index.php

If the link does not work then please Google... Gerard Fleming Liverpool Days

hope you like the site...lots of Mersey Beat music related, Tony Bolland related to come...I'm taking the pics at Tonys new book launch..you might remember a few of the faces I'll be snapping...all will be shown on the site.. and a few pics of special Beatles related events happening later in 2010.

Thank you..

Gerard.

Unusual/rare Liverpool Beatles related photographs >>> http://liverpooldays.com/photo/index.php
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gerard: Welcome and thanks so much for introducing yourself and providing this most interesting information. I am thrilled with your site and appreciate you sharing your resources. I am sure that it will make for very good discussion here.

Just in passing, I have tried for years to find photos of Temple Street, where the old Iron Door Club resided. Should you ever come arcoss one I would be delighted to see it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hello Peter and thank You for the welcome Peter..

I have lots of recent pics of how the Iron Door (Pyramid Club) looks today..any good ?

I have asked Sam Leach if he has any old ones but he says no.. I'll ask him again and buy him a bevvie...see if that works...Lol...

Unusual/rare Liverpool Beatles related photographs >>> http://liverpooldays.com/photo/index.php
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hello Peter and thank You for the welcome..

I have lots of recent pics of how the Iron Door (Pyramid Club) looks today..any good ?

I have asked Sam Leach if he has any old ones but he says no.. I'll ask him again and buy him a bevvie...see if that works...Lol...

Ooooooooooops...sorry about the double post..

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Fabulous albums, Gerard! It's going to take hours to wade through 'em all!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Great stuff, Gerard, and welcome to the forum!
Ka is a wheel.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Welcome to the forum, Gerard! Thanks for sharing your many wonderful photos with us. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
Simone

Post by Simone »

Hello,
I just wanted to say that Frank Hessy was my grandad, and although born in 1971 i have great memories of him and Jim Gretty in the shop.
This topic was posted over 2 years ago, but if there is any specific information on my granfather or the shop required, I would try and find out
the answers.
Cheers

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”