The Baby Boomers

History and music of Liverpool
hamilton_square

The Baby Boomers

Post by hamilton_square »

Looking back at the demographic make-up of early 60s Liverpool groups, I would argue that they broadly fell into two categories – first wave and second wave.

The first wave of Liverpool groups – or if you prefer, the senior boys – were those who as teenagers had their early and formative introduction to 'youth' music via the popular but short-lived Skiffle revival, spearheaded by Lonnie Donegan, that swept Britain throughout 1956 – 57. As a result, they all invariably saw the first Liverpool light of day during the late-1930s-cum-early-1940s and were between the ages of 15 and 18 when they first began banding together to play and develop their music.

While the second wave of younger Liverpool groups – many of whom were of my age and social background – came from the vanguard of the Post-World War II 'baby-boom' generation (as it came to be known). They saw what was happening at both a local and national level with the domestic successes of 'first wavers' like the Beatles, the Searchers and Gerry and the Pacemakers to name but three. Seemingly, a week didn’t go by when they wasn’t news in the 'Mersey Beat' of yet another Liverpool group attracting the attention of some London-based record company or other. These were the very same groups that they, as 15-to-18-year old teenagers themselves, had previously paid a few shillings to watch perform in any number of local clubs and halls that were thriving at the time – and quite frankly, they to wanted a piece of the action.

Many of these quickly formed second wave groups were immediately destined for instant mediocrity. They just hadn’t or weren’t willing to serve the required apprenticeship that their 'seniors' had done and where so to speak, just content to more or less imitate their elders. However, they weren’t all rubbish – there were a few seemingly promising blooms amongst a garden of weeds. In particular, at one time I had great hopes for the Dennisons – but things, as they often do, never worked out for them.

Another of the younger groups that I identified with and as a result, saw a fair amount of was the Roadrunners. I mention this because I've recently noticed posted on You Tube a block of archive recordings originating from the two extended spells the group had at Hamburg’s Star Club. If you enter the phrase “The Roadrunners (Liverpool)” into the You Tube search engine then it comes up with some 15 listings of posted tracks.

Emerging as a force on Liverpool's group scene during 1962-63 and in the process becoming very much a fixture in the basement club of the old Hope Hall Cinema at the north-end of Hope Street. The Roadrunners leaned towards playing more R&B material than other Liverpool groups of the day which kind of set them apart from the mainstream and attracted a strong following within the area that somehow never managed to translate itself to a wider audience. I suspect the growing perception amongst the British record buying public of the time of oh-no-not-another-Merseybeat-group was beginning to take detrimental root. Even the most healthy of young appetites can get sick of the same diet if its being force-feed to them for a seemingly prolonged length of time by sections of the entertainment media.

The Roadrunners first played the Star Club over the Christmas and New Year period of 1963-64. The story goes that when the club closed its doors late one night the group returned in the early hours of the morning with a sound engineer to polish off a so-called live album in double quick time. Of which the first number they did on that session was a creditable version of “Rip It Up” - it's a pity that Pete Mackey's singing sounds strained on this number, he's says at the time he was suffering from a bad winter case of "Hamburg Throat" and asked that they do his vocal numbers first ...

The then Roadrunners line-up was Mike Hart (Guitar + Vocals), Dave Percy (Guitar + Vocals), Pete Mackey (Bass + Vocals), John Peacock (Piano) and Dave Boyce (Drums) … with instrumental back-up provided by members of the horn-based Bobby Patrick Big Six Band from Glasgow who were also playing the Star Club at the same time as the Roadrunners.

The Roadrunners returned for second stint at the Star Club in the summer of 1964 and recorded this pounding version of “Got My Mojo Working” - this time with Mike Hart doing the vocals - very much highlighting the now forgotten honky tonk piano playing skills of John Peacock to good effect ...

In between these two Star Club dates guitarist Dave Percy had left the group while the pairing of Nick Carver and Johnny Philips (both saxophone players) had been added.

The Roadrunners finally called it a day in 1966.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Re: The Baby Boomers

Post by 13_temple_street »

Once again Peter; I enjoyed reading your excellent informative article. You mention some terrific talented musicians, unfortunately I have lost track of most. Your spell in the 'wilderness' has not diminished your creative flair and ability to come up with the goods.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Re: The Baby Boomers

Post by 13_temple_street »

Once again Peter; I enjoyed reading your excellent informative article. You mention some terrific talented musicians, unfortunately I have lost track of most. Your spell in the 'wilderness' has not diminished your creative flair and ability to come up with the goods.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”