'Merseybeat Unearthed' Cd

History and music of Liverpool
miguel
RRF Consultant

'Merseybeat Unearthed' Cd

Post by miguel »

I´m not sure if anyone else has mentioned this Cd here, but just in case, here I go. 'Merseybeat Unearthed' is a Merseybeat comp Cd. Many will say that surely this is just another one from the EMI, DECCA or PYE vaults, but it´s not. It was compiled in Liverpool, not long ago, by 'Viper', a record company partially owned by Lee Mavers, from the Liverpool group The La´s (wich, by the way, is a great band. Theirs is the original version of 'There She Goes Again', a brilliant song!).

'Merseybeat Unearthed' is just that: very rare recordings compiled here for the first time. Most of them are demo recordings, outtakes, lost songs', practice sessions and so on. Many of the best Merseybeat groups are featured here, and you won´t find the songs anywhere else.

It is said that 'Viper' will launch more volumes of unearthed material if this one sells well. I heard that they only made 1000 copies of this one. Anyone interested in Liverpool and/or Merseybeat should buy one. I have recently bought mine in 'Amazon.Co.Uk', and it seems the record is becoming a rare item, although it´s still available. If anyone is interested, I can review the cd as soon as it arrives.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Miguel: A terrific CD for those who love Merseybeat. There is even one selection that was recorded live at the Iron Door in 1961 which is a real treasure.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Thanks, Peter. I´ll post a review as soon as I get the Cd.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Well, here it is at last. I will only talk about a couple of songs now, and leave the rest for later. The alternate versíon of 'Sorrow' (The Merseys hit, but without brass and with the guitar, bass and drums very ip-front) is excellent, you could buy the Cd just for this one. 'Sorrow' is a great song, but this rough mix - alternate take if just fabulous.

If you like The Merseybeats, 'Sorrow' is not the only surprise in this Cd. I have always thought that all of the songs recorded by the group were either released or lost (i.e: 'Soldier Of Love' seems to be lost, but their 1964 LP and all of their singles have been released in Cd). Well, here is the surprise: a fantastic cover of The Shirelles song 'The Thing I Want To Hear (Pretty Words)', from 1964. Seems like a rough mix, but sure it sounds great, with all the ingredients for a Merseybeats classic: fine arrangements, handclaps, clean production from Jack Baverstock and some drumming by John Banks - I´m sure he is playing on this one -. One can only wonder if this lost treasure was considered for a 'single' or for an EP: seems to be too good to be just an album filler!

More later, but, for me, these two tracks alone make the Cd a joy.
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

Spencer Leigh compiled that CD from recordings he accumulated in the '80s and '90s from Liverpool musicians. Many of those tracks were featured on Spencer's BBC Merseyside programs and he mentioned wanting to get them released on his show as early as 1984. I'm glad he finally succeeded.

About 15 years ago I contacted Spencer and he sold me cassettes of several airchecks of his "Unreleased Merseybeat" specials, and he has many many more fascinating unreleased cuts.
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

The second volume of "Unearthed Merseybeat" was recently issued, and it's just as good as the first.

BTW, I have the Merseybeats' unreleased version of "Soldier of Love" from the Spencer Leigh airchecks I mentioned, so it exists.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, I have the Merseybeats' unreleased version of "Soldier of Love" from the Spencer Leigh airchecks I mentioned, so it exists.
Glenn, does this song exist as an mp3?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

I can certainly make an MP3 of it!

Anyone who wants it, contact me at gsadinATfuturenetworkusaDOTcom, and I will email it to you.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Thank you very much for the mp3, Glenn! The version The Merseybeats did of 'Soldier Of Love' is great. I'm sure they had heard The Beatles playing their own cover of the song in the BBC. Both are fabulous!
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

Volume Three was recently released, and available from Amazon UK. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive!
raider
Veteran RRF member

Re: 'Merseybeat Unearthed' Cd

Post by raider »

How do I get a copy of these CD's 8)
brammy

Post by brammy »

Vol 1
http://www.the-viper-label.co.uk/merseybeat.html
xmersey.jpeg
Vol 2
xmersey2.jpeg
Vol 3
xmersey3.jpeg
hear clips of all three:
http://www.junodownload.com/labels/Viper+UK/

One of the things I get from these is simply a reconfirmation of how great the Beatles were. Listening to the songs that the Beatles also covered (or wrote in the case of 'I'm Looking Through You'), it's just amazing how much better the Fabs were compared to their rival bands.
beatleboots

Post by beatleboots »

Everyone visiting this forum should own these cds'.The Merseybeats are without a doubt the stars of the sets,but one also gets some good stuff by the Swinging Blue Jeans and if it wasnt for these releases I would most likely never have heard the vastly underated songwriting of Jimmy Campbell and his group the Kirkbys!

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”