Interesting issue with HF 1048

Register, Price List, Gallery, RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Interesting issue with HF 1048

Post by doctorwho »

While sorting through another stack of old eBay auctions, I came across item # 1518354220 that ended on 26Feb2002. This was aptly titled "1968 rickenbacker model 4005 bass project" and showed a solid color (possibly MG; my print out was in black and white and the ad did not mention the color) 4005 4-string bass with a broken neck (FWIW, the selling price was $1700 :shock: ).

I checked the Register and found that this serial number is in there, but as a 4005/6 Fireglo:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

I did not see any mention in the Register entry that this was a customized bass, not a factory 4005/6. For the sake of statistical accuracy, should it be indicated as being modified somehow?
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Interesting issue with HF 1048

Post by cjj »

Hmm, without pictures, it's hard to know if it really has 6 strings or if whoever entered it just selected the wrong number for strings...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I'm theorizing that the buyer used the broken bass as a project and had it converted to a six-string, being that examples of factory 4005/6 basses are few and far between. With a broken neck, that bass would have provided a perfect opportunity for the conversion to a bass that can't be otherwise obtained.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote:I'm theorizing that the buyer used the broken bass as a project and had it converted to a six-string, being that examples of factory 4005/6 basses are few and far between. With a broken neck, that bass would have provided a perfect opportunity for the conversion to a bass that can't be otherwise obtained.
Hmm, Steve Azola made a bass a long time ago with a Jazz Bass body and a 4005 neck!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Here's a 4005 WB that Paul W. converted to an 8-string:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=409939
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

kathi wrote:If you don't have a program that will resize your pictures, try the freeware FastStone Photo Resizer (available at download.com); it is easy to use and can do batch resizing.
+1

I use that program and it is great for resizing in batch mode (absolutely needed for NAMM show pictures).

Return to “Rickenbacker Register”