Most Challenging Shadows Instrumental Live

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Most Challenging Shadows Instrumental Live

Post by admin »

Goran: I am curious as to what Shadows' instrumental you have found most challenging to perform live.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

The ones I don't have rehearsed well enough........

Well, offhand I'd say Equinox V because of the strange timing with 4-beat and 2-beat bars intertwined.

When it comes to the fingering itself most are not too big a challenge with the exception of a few of the "middle-bit solos" on the early numbers.

However, many songs can be difficult to find the proper fingering for in the first place but are usually not very tricky once this is figured out.
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: The timing is indeed tricky on Equinox V. Very easy for me to get behind in this number. Your version is first rate, by the way.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Goran, Peter how about Slaughter On Tenth Avenue as a contender.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

"Slaughter" really not to tough for guitar..I think the challenge is keeping the correct meter and clean breaks for the group as a whole to perform it well.
Reverb set to stun !!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

George you may comparing The Ventures version of the tune rather than The Shadows version, I'll send you The Shadows version.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Thanks Roy...
Reverb set to stun !!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: From my perspective, simply playing the notes is the least of a guitarist's worry when trying to perform Slaughter On Tenth Avenue by The Shadows.

For those who wish to emulate all of the effects as played by The Shadows in their studio recording, this is a big challenge.

Slaughter On Tenth Avenue's slow tempo may wear thin on the listener. It is, however, typical of the brilliant arrangements of The Shadows that capture both the interest and imagination of the listener.

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Thanks for the mp3 Roy...I agree that yes, I'm thinking of The Ventures version...also agree with Peter and maintain the the basic guitar lines are pretty easy..it's the different (I imagine) studio effects that would take some work to nail live. Now days with samples and all a good studio guy could replicate those for you if that is what's desired.
Reverb set to stun !!
JimN

Re: Most Challenging Shadows Instrumental Live

Post by JimN »

I run a ShadowMusic club in south-east England, and there and elsewhere, I get the chance to hear a lot of different players, at a variety of skill and experience levels. They tackle a wide range of Shadows and similar material. I agree with Goran that Slaughter On 10th Avenue isn't that hard to play, but I've never actually heard anyone (except Hank) do it live. The Shadows featured that song in their stage act in 1969/1970, with Alan Hawkshaw on keyboards and no rhythm guitar (Bruce was absent).

One song I hear a lot is Equinox Pt V, and I certainly agree that the timing of the track throws a lot of players (as does the intricate fingering required), but the killer for intricate fingering - and a real test of playing skill - has to be Thing-Me-Jig!

Best wishes,

JimN
somebodyelseuk

Post by somebodyelseuk »

JimN wrote:I run a ShadowMusic club in south-east England, and there and elsewhere, I get the chance to hear a lot of different players, at a variety of skill and experience levels. They tackle a wide range of Shadows and similar material. I agree with Goran that Slaughter On 10th Avenue isn't that hard to play, but I've never actually heard anyone (except Hank) do it live. The Shadows featured that song in their stage act in 1969/1970, with Alan Hawkshaw on keyboards and no rhythm guitar (Bruce was absent).

One song I hear a lot is Equinox Pt V, and I certainly agree that the timing of the track throws a lot of players (as does the intricate fingering required), but the killer for intricate fingering - and a real test of playing skill - has to be Thing-Me-Jig!

Best wishes,

JimN
I've never played Shadows material in a live situation - a little before my time, really - but I grew up listening to them as my Dad is a big fan, and when I started learning to play I learned a lot of their tunes to start with. Both those tunes - Equinox & Thing-me-jig - were tunes that I enjoyed playing along to. I used to jam along with my Dad at home as well and never had any problems playing the melodies... however, the rhythm guitar parts are another thing altogether. I was always interested in developing my rhythm playing more than anything and listened to and played all kinds of music. I've been playing 30 years now and the only tunes I never got the hang of out of everything I ever played were Man Of Mystery & The Savage.
Don't know why, but I have never had problems with complicated timings. I saw a couple of recent Shadows DVDs and was hugely disappointed with Hank's playing on them. After 50 years of playing 'the classics' they sound almost robotic... and that is the 'problem'. When they were recorded back in the late 50s, they were teenagers with very little experience. If you listen to the old recordings they are absolutely littered with mistakes... and for me, that's where the personality of the recordings comes from. After 50+ years, you can't help but improve your technique, timing and so on. The thing is, the better you get, the harder it is to stray from the rules.
My 'Holy Grail' if you like is to master 'Country Boy' by Albert Lee.

FWIW, I'm in the process of recording a backing track for The Frightened City at home and the drum part is driving me mad... sounds like it's in 2/4 and changes to 4/4 in the middle? Guitars are easy, it's drumming that stretches my sanity!
"As long as I stay between 'The Sun & My Shadow', I guess, I'm doing well..."
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

With Equinoxe V, you are converting Instrumental Synth Pop to Instrumental Guitar Pop, and not every tune transposes easily.

I like the Shads and Jarre!

emac.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”