Gemini III Has Landed

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Gemini III Has Landed

Post by admin »

I have been a fan of The Shadows since Apache, although theirs was not the first version that I heard.

In my attempt to replicate the Shadows' sound, I have been researching Hank Marvin's style and gear and had the good fortune to find a Yamaha Magic Stomp with Echoes From The Past. While the patches are convenient and of great quality, even with my Stratocaster and Vox AC-30 the tone was just not quite right.

Searching online I found out about the Gemini III, made in England. The sound samples provided online using this tone-shaper were most impressive and so I ordered one. It arrived in pristine condition. I plugged it in and was suitably impressed to the point where I felt the need to write a review.

If you have a Gemini III, I would like to hear what you think about it. I have informed the manufacturer of this review and I have also invited him to field questions that might arise.

For those who may be interested, my review is here.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
gemini_iii
Veteran RRF member

Post by gemini_iii »

Well Peter, I suppose that I should be the first to respond to your posting on this subject, and the review. Thank you for such an honest and objective appraisal. As designer and manufacturer, I am delighted that you find that the Gemini III "does what it says on the tin". It has sold so far into Italy, Denmark, Dubai and now Canada - as well as the UK, of course. Users here sing its praises too, but I think it best if I leave reports and opinions to them and others worldwide, rather than indulge in further promotion via a forum designed for enthusiasts to discuss their music passion. If the Gemini III becomes part of the discussions, so be it - it's all part of the common interest. Thank you again - I look forward to, and welcome, comments and emails. David JM
If you can't see it, I haven't got it. If I haven't got it, you can't have it. If you don't want it, neither do I.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

David: While I appreciate that the Gemini III was developed to capture the Shadows' sound, I have been very impressed about how close it gets to other British Invasion sounds as well. I have worked up a couple of samples of The Beatles' "What Your Doing" on Stage 2. This is just the unit with a Rickenbacker 12 string and a Voc AC-30.

I also and tried the opening riff to The Searchers' "When You Walk In The Room." I am very well pleased at how convenient it is to replicate these sounds and then quickly return to the true bypass for the next number. There are no knobs to have to fiddle with to get just the right sound. I consider that you have done your homework!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pippa201

Gemini III

Post by pippa201 »

A few years have passed since I posted on this excellent forum, so I thought that I'd stick my head above the parapet and offer a reminder about the Gemini III toneshaper.

The Administrators of this forum (Goran and Peter Mc) won't mind, I'm sure, as the latter is an avid user of one of the very first units, from back in 2008.

For those who seek the "Sound of the Sixties", the Gemini III is the ideal unit.

Over three hundred units have been sold throughout the world, and all owners sing its praises without exception.

If you care to visit the website, you will find not only much information and genuine testimonials, but sound files recorded by yours truly, making use of the unit.

You will also find purchase and shipping costs.

If you require further information, please don't hesitate to email me (address is also on the website).

I have also started a simple forum, although it is in its infancy, but you will also gain some more history and information.

The unit was aimed primarily at "Strat" type guitars, but it is gaining popularity amongst players of all types - including Rickenbackers. The Beatles and The Shadows recorded at the Abbey Road studios in London, which meant of course that the desks used were the same in their respective recordings.

Sincerely,

David J Mitchell.

http://www.gemini3.eu

http://gemini3.proboards.com/
admin
Site Admin

Re: Gemini III Has Landed

Post by admin »

David: Thanks for the update. The early units worked only with a battery power supply. Do newer units allow the use of a 9 volt adapter? As a reminder of the look of the early units you can see my GEMINI III REVIEW here.

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I was floored by the sample on David's website. I've joined the club.

Nice work, David!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul: I think you will enjoy the Gemini III. :)

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

admin wrote:Paul: I think you will enjoy the Gemini III. :)
Peter, those sound samples took me back.

The price we pay for nostalgia!

For curious Amerikaners, the G III was $196.00 US including shipping to the USA.
pippa201

Post by pippa201 »

Thank you Peter, and the rest of the guys !!

Paul - your unit hit the mail yesterday, so will be with you in a while.

A Strat and Ric owner in Ontario has received his, and has told me that he will be posting here soon..........

He also reported on a 60's style wiring mod that he carried out to his Ric. I'll leave him to describe it.

So. Watch this space.

Thanks again everyone.

David JM.

www.gemini3.eu
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Received the GIII yesterday, but haven't had the chance to unpack it and put it through its paces. Soon, I hope.

Nice quality product, David! My compliments.
pippa201

Post by pippa201 »

Thank you, Paul.

I look forward to receiving your findings.

Regards,

David.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Where was I when all this started :D :D
Sooo..chained with my Magic Stomp w/Mr Halls programs or more likely when playing out my El Capistan..wonder if voltages could be set to work with my Pedal Power unit?
Cool sound bytes!
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Pulled the trigger!
pippa201

Post by pippa201 »

Yes; Thanks George.

Personal email sent.

David JM
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Ace pedal David...always a treat when a new link is added to the chain that really does open some sonic doors. Much to try out but so far using the Echos From The Past programs, the Gemini added that hollow timber that nailed it. That said, when put in front of the El Capistan set for a worn tape setting and with a touch of reverb the results were very charming to say the least. Thus far only played a Strat , a Yamaha SG-2 and a braitone with the set up ..looking forward to the Rick 12 and Gretsch My favorite tone was with a a baritone guitar loaded w/Lipstick pups...no sound samples yet but with the Gemini/El Cap/Bari and dialed into into a Gomez G-Reverb (think 12 watt Princeton w/ a 15" JBL w/ a pinch of reverb..I got into this neighborhood....I'm stoked!

Thanks for a great pedal and much success to you

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”