A couple of YouTube clips featuring yours truly!

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
goran
RRF Consultant

A couple of YouTube clips featuring yours truly!

Post by goran »

Have at last entered the realm of animated footage, not very successfully video wise but managed to get high quality stereo sound.

Bossa Roo

Cricket Bat Boogie

Don't know why

Goran
admin
Site Admin

Re: A couple of YouTube clips featuring yours truly!

Post by admin »

Both very nicely done, Goran.

I especially like the Cricket Bat Boogie. I see you spent some time working this one out!

Next, the Goran DVD. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

And now Sleepwalk

bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Nicely done Goran! I enjoyed them all. I particularly enjoyed Cricket Bat Boogie, and totally loved Sleepwalk!
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: A marvellous interpretation of Sleepwalk.The tone is first rate and has captured Marvin's work very well. A masterful job on the vibrato too. Can you comment on the effect? Is it Charlie's?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ric330
Intermediate Member

Post by ric330 »

Nice job Goran,
I really like your Sleepwalk interpretation.
I remember going to Huntington Beach, California back in the 80's and catching a show of Larry Carlton playing his version of Sleepwalk - that was a treat too.
Keep it up. Your tone, as already said, is great! :)
...went in to buy a 52' Tele and walked out with a 360 Jetglo...
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Thanks mates!

Yes, the echo is the Magic Stomp with Charlies program. Not that there is much of a difference from Geoff Strachans corresponding program, I feel that his programs are to a great extent underrated. And I'm sure you would have liked it even if I had used the 508 with Geoffs programming, which incidentally I feel is very much better than Charlies when it comes to the 508.

I've also now uploaded Evening Glow featuring the budget priced Squire Strat (with Fender Mex pups, though)

I've gotten the hang of how to get stereo on youtube, It seems files must be converted to .flv files and the combined bitrate for video and sound must be below 350 or thereabout. So to get good sound (128 kbps, 44100 hz) you have to settle for lower bitrate (=worse quality) for the video.
But to us it's the sound that counts, or...?

Goran
Goran
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are getting quite a collection now, Goran.

The Squire seems to play very well and I suspect it needed some adjustments.

While the Mexican pickups sound a bit harsh compared to the custom shop windings I have to say that the sound is certainly adequate and the price is right. How do you find the vibrato?

I think that the video is adequate but important as it is a great learning experience for those of us who do not know the songs that you are performing here.

Are all of the backing tracks that we have heard in this thread created by yourself?

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

The Squire needed just a little bit of truss rod adjustement (i needed to be a little bit more concave to allow for the low action I normally use, so I had to loosen the truss rod a little, takes often a few days for the neck to settle when you loosen) and the trem works very fine, I think I will try to change the angle so that the arm is a little further out from the strings which will suit my style of playing better (holding the arm all the time).

And yes, they are all my backings.
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

And no, the Mex pups are normally smoother, but this is the sound I want for this tune, quite like the original.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, your comment on the Mexican pickups is of interest. Perhaps all of these pickups are not created equal.

Each pickup has its own assets and liabilities depending on its application.

One thing is for sure, your efforts on this latest recording have paid off and your work has helped me understand Evening Glow better.

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Killer version of Sleepwalk...way to go Goran!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: With regard to your switch position for Sleepwalk it sounds and looks like you are using the neck pickup. Is this the case? Further, would you mind identifying the Charlie Hall's patch number. Certainly all of the stars seem to be aligned correctly as you have nailed the sound.

goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

It certainly is, I always use neck pup for these slow ballad-type numbers (when recording)
For live playing I sometimes use the middle or even the bridge pup to get through the backing better
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For live playing I sometimes use the middle or even the bridge pup to get through the backing better
This is so true Goran. I am often times unhappy with live performances as the tape echo effect can get lost in the mix. The number of people in a room can change the sound completely as the sound becomes absorbed. Sometimes switching to a longer delay helps to simulate the intended effect better or as you say going to the bridge pickup.

Cooking a tasty meal for a family of five is one thing, but for a group of 100 is quite another. The palette sometimes suffers.

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”