Toaster covers on HiGains W/ adj. pole pieces

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

8mileshigher

Toaster covers on HiGains W/ adj. pole pieces

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here's a pic from another thread on Toasterizing High Gains ... when you countersink screws to replace the pole pieces, so the Toaster cover fits snug
Attachments
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG (11.48 KiB) Viewed 40061 times
steverok
Intermediate Member

Re: Toaster covers on HiGains W/ adj. pole pieces

Post by steverok »

Love this thread. I have a pair of older hi-gains (non-adjustable pole pieces) and a set of toaster covers, that I'd like to have converted. Does anyone here provide a service for that ? For a fee, of course ...
collin

Post by collin »

steverok wrote:Love this thread. I have a pair of older hi-gains (non-adjustable pole pieces) and a set of toaster covers, that I'd like to have converted. Does anyone here provide a service for that ? For a fee, of course ...

After re-reading this thread, I realize that many people over-complicate the process of converting to Toaster covers. There are much simpler ways, and you could do this yourself with only a few hand tools.

1.) For threaded adjustable pole pieces. [Assumes six (6) individual holes on the underside of the magnet, one for each pole piece). Unscrew the pole piece from the top, thread it back in on the underside of the magnet, mount the toaster cover. Voila! Toaster high-gain and it's entirely reversible in the future.

2.) For press-in "button top" pole pieces. Gently remove the magnet from the underside of the bobbin. Place masking tape on the plastic bobbin face (that will appear with the toaster cover in place). Place the bobbin face-down in a vise (or similar) with enough of a gap for the pole piece buttons to fit loosely. Press up each pole piece from the bottom only about halfway and cut-off the button top with a dremel or hand saw. Push the headless pole piece back in the bobbin. Repeat for the other five. glue the magnet back in place. Mount the toaster cover.

I prefer doing this on adjustable pole piece models. It's much easier and it's reversible, but either way this isn't a complicated mod.
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

collin wrote: I prefer doing this on adjustable pole piece models. It's much easier and it's reversible, but either way this isn't a complicated mod.
Not complicated for people whose tool sets exceeds 4 screwdrivers and a hammer : )
collin

Post by collin »

steverok wrote:
collin wrote: I prefer doing this on adjustable pole piece models. It's much easier and it's reversible, but either way this isn't a complicated mod.
Not complicated for people whose tool sets exceeds 4 screwdrivers and a hammer : )
Bet you I could do this with 4 screwdrivers and a hammer. :lol:

Anyway, send me a PM and I'm happy to help out.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”