Cap screw vs drive pin hi-gains

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

weemac
Veteran RRF member

Cap screw vs drive pin hi-gains

Post by weemac »

Hi all!
I'm hoping eventually to get another 12 string Rickenbacker some day.
For us Aussies the 620/12 guitars that are being on-sold on the bay seem to be the best value at the moment (2011 models)
I had a 91ish 360/12 some years ago and while the hi-gain output was great, I found it to sound "cloudy" compared with most of my other guitars (which = a lot of eq changes between guitars).
Now I'm a toaster sort of fellow at heart but the chances of scrounging enough for a 12ver and some toast on top of that is slim. I also find as I get older that I like hot roding guitars less and less, and just prefer the vision that the manufacturer had for the guitar at the time as that is what makes each generation of instrument unique.
So:
Are the screw top hi-gains a clearer sounding pickup than the 90s ones?
There is plenty of folks out there that have done extensive tests in comparison for sure, so let the discussion commence!

Eden
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Cap screw vs drive pin hi-gains

Post by iiipopes »

To my ears, the new adjustible polepiece higains are the best yet: jangle and drive. If I didn't already have my current higains to my liking, I'd consider a set, but for the fact I really would like to see an authentic "Toasterbucker" from RIC.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”