Amazon Deal on a Bobbin Winder

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

DriftSpace

Amazon Deal on a Bobbin Winder

Post by DriftSpace »

For the next hour, there's a bobbin winder for sale on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z1 ... PDKIKX0DER

I don't know if this is ideal for making pickups, nor do I know if it's a good deal or if it can be easily modified to wind pickups, but I saw it and thought maybe someone would be interested.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Re: Amazon Deal on a Bobbin Winder

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

that's a lot of bending for copper wire and could possibly stretch and thin the wire even more. i go in a straight line from the spool to the bobbin . less chance of breakage...and swearing ! :lol:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

That machine is to wind bobbins of thread for sewing machines. Won't work for pickups.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

This machine would take forever to wind a pickup, if it ever could without snapping the wire every time it was turned on...

Another machine that lots of people buy, but which is mostly bad (I have heard of a few people getting used to them) is the one sold by Stew Mac.

There are a number of "boutique winder" guys out there who build decent, affordable, non-pro machines in their basements or garages.

Mine is a "Sidewinder"--one of these little-guy-built units. Variable speed, foot pedal, reversible, good build quality, quiet, and about $350.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”