1934 Horseshoe wiring restoration project

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

lob01

1934 Horseshoe wiring restoration project

Post by lob01 »

Hs
Hs
Hi, my name is Stefan Lob from germany (http://www.schlaggitarren.de) and I´m restoring a 34/35 Rickenbacher Spanish Guitar.

Somebody with no experiance, do a bad restauration in the 60/70th and now I wane do it better! I tryed out the horeshoe and it works brilliant but only one Volume. Take a look at the picture, this is the wiering from the first restaurion. In my opinion such a wiering couldn´t work!

When I wire a PU with a volume pot, I take the hot wire and solder it to the right pin. From the middel pot pin I go to the hot tip of the jack. I solder the ground wire from the pu on the potcap. I solder the left potpin also on the potcap. From the groundcap I wire to the gound of the Jack (when there are noises I wire from the goundcap to the bridge and if it is a wooden one I wire the ground to the tailpiece).

Is this the right way for the old horseshoe? I would do it in the original way!

Thanks a lot,

Stefan
lob01

Re: 1934 Horseshoe wiring restoration project

Post by lob01 »

OK, I answere by myself!
I get no answere, so I try it the way I would do it and now everything works perfectly!
I´m very asounished about the full and powerfull sound of the Horseshoe and very low noises for such an old PU! Maby I do a wire from the pottop to the tailpiece. So if you play you have NO noises, but the noises are so low it works without such a ground wire.
Attachments
HS new wiring.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome, Stephan! 8)

Your rewiring looks good.

Hw about some pics of the guitar?
lob01

Post by lob01 »

The guitar is still not restored!
Attachments
Gitarre Komplett für web.jpg
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

Welcome Stefan. Nice looking guitar. Glad the rewire worked. This is the place to post. Sergio may chime in here after a bit- he's the resident expert.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lob01 wrote:The guitar is still not restored!
Looks nice, regardless! :D
lob01

Post by lob01 »

Its a 33/34 spanish guitar. In my opinion the first guitar with a pickup! Everything original but a stupid guy, do a new laquer on the body and the front of the headplate (with the original Rickenbacher ...later Rickenbacker plate. I have a wonderfull restorer who have an idea how to obtain the original laquer with a special method. I hope everything works and then this guitar is a rare collectabel itom!
Attachments
7 Schild.jpg

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”