Now available
Attachments
Search For Myself
Search For Myself
einar
Veteran RRF member

Re: Out Now

Post by einar »

Wow! Must find a way to get hold on a copy! With hopefully the realization of Friedhelm Kaus' volumes, The Searchers Library are steadily growing!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

here you go Einar
Attachments
how to order
how to order
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Thank you for the information, Roy!

Money sent. Looking forward to read Mike's story. I never quite understood why he left John and Frank. Hope this book provides some light to this mystery.
Don't want to be negative, but never felt that Spencer James fit The Searchers' heritage. My impression from the Sire period (and footage from that time) is that Mike acted as if it was Mike Pender's Searchers already by then. May have caused frictions, obviously. But why he jumped ship, continuing to do "The Searchers act", I can't understand.

But every Searchers story is a good story!

Merry Christmas to Roy and others reading this!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

You'll enjoy it Einar and it does provide an insight though some questions unanswered.

I agree with you observations SJ is a good vocalist but for me comes into his own when doing non Searchers numbers. They will always be two versions of events Mike's and Frank/John's.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Roy:"SJ is a good vocalist but for me comes into his own when doing non Searchers numbers".

This rings true in my ears! But to be fair: I've found different versions on YouTube, of Goodbye my Love, which I think suits Spencer's voice well (both with and without hair!). This is a dramatic, non-typical Searchers song I'll say, still one of ther best and most popular.

Spencer James is more of a Union Gap/Walker Brothers/Love Affair singer!

This brought us far away from Mike's new book, which by now is on it's way across the sea!
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Post by mdenger »

Did anyone receive the book?

Michael
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Michael: Absolutely. Received, read and enjoyed it.

It's not in my lap here and now. It's an able piece of writing, but overall not quite on same level as Frank's book.
Mike adjusts some details from the early days (He was never in a skiffle group, not with young John nor with anyone else. As I remember it, he also stresses that he, John, Chris and Tony became The Searchers BEFORE Johnny Sandon joined them as lead singer. Somebody may have stated othervise).
Frank must have liked parts of this book, as Mike is by no way unkind to him. But I guess Allen must be hurt to read that (in Pender's words) Walk in the Room was "mainly me and Chris").

From the Sire sessions, he says he worked harder than ever before with the vocals. Even lost his voice. I think in Frank's book, you get the impression that Mike was only half heartedly involved, leaving all the guitar work to John.

More could be said about the book. Maybe I will if more opinions arrive. I recommend it!

I can't help but think why did he not leave the "Searchers" tag to his new group's name. Things would have been much easier. Why not "Mike Pender Group". And then using "Of "Searchers" Fame! as marketing. Roger Waters didn't challenge Pink Floyd, neither did the prime member when he left Supertramp. Jeff Beck Group, not Jeff Beck's Yardbirds. More of this kind is easy to find.

Mike's voice was the main attraction to me, when hearing The Searchers for the first time (50 years ago). For 2015, I'll say: Rather 70+ John McNally playing guitar than 70+ Mike Pender singing! No doubt the voice suffers, it's not what it was. It's easier to maintain craftsmanship as a musician. I guess it's just as charming to hear John sing nowadays as it is hearing Mike!

Best wishes to all!
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Added to previous:

Mike's book has a lot of quality, don't doubt it: Good indexes, appendixes, bibliography.
Noone interested in The Searchers' history should live without it!

It's also obvious that, since the split, there's been plenty enough work for both The Searchers and MPS!
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Post by mdenger »

Thank you for your comments, I'll try to get it.

Michael
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Post by mdenger »

Received Mike's book some time ago and was also please to read it. First of all - compared to Frank's books - his language is much simpler, so easier for me to read. But Frank's book seems offers a lot more of text.
Two things I found interesting: Mike denies Frank's leadcocal in When You Walk.. But everyone who has ears must ear that Frank somehow special voice can't be overheard.
And I think, that Mike emphasizes a bit two much that he sings and play leadguitar.

Michael
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Back in March Mike Pender did an extended interview on BBC Radio Merseyside’s On the Beat (hosted by Spencer Leigh) ostensibly to promote his book. At the time I was unaware of the broadcast because I was in Spain. However, I have since discovered that someone recorded interview and posted it on You Tube at …

To be honest, I’m not a fan of Mike Pender. While back in the Iron Door Club days, as a 15 / 16 year-old, I saw The Searchers - both with and without Johnny Sandon. When Tony Jackson left and was replaced by ‘outsider’ Frank Allen I lost interest being that at time I was getting more into a grittier R&B sound. However, over time, I’ve come to appreciate Frank Allen not so much as a musician but more as a communicator. Having never met the man, he comes across in both his interviews and writings as highly articulate, thoughtful and well-considered.
First of all - compared to Frank's books - his language is much simpler, so easier for me to read. But Frank's book seems offers a lot more of text.
As someone who speaks a second language, I can well understand that for non-native English speakers Frank Allen’s more coherent and communicative writing style would present greater problems than the simpler sentence structures of say someone like Mike Pender. That does not mean I’m denigrating Mike Pender. I’m just making the observation that Frank Allen has obviously worked on his writing skills over the years, whereas Mike Pender has never felt the need to do so until deciding to take it upon himself to write and self-publish this book with his own cash.

I see Mike Pender will be 75 if he makes it to 3rd March in some six weeks time. He gives me the impression that at this advanced point in his life he’d rather be sitting at home with his feet up than having to go out on so-called “Silver 60s” tours. I get the feeling he’s now a bit fed-up of going on such musical trips down memory lane. But of course needs must. For as he says during one point of the On the Beat interview, he needs to keep touring and performing in order to attract both a paying and potentially book buying audience.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

One of the essential differences in the books in terms of style is that Frank Allen did write it, in case of Mike, it was "ghost written" but I assume using Mike's words.

I found the chronological style of Frank easier to follow, I know Mike didn not want that sort of style but in arts it seems to jump back and forth.

Enjoyed both though

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”