Should I upgrade my fuzz or my compressor?

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Wizz

Should I upgrade my fuzz or my compressor?

Post by Wizz »

I sold some pedals that were collecting dust so I’m think of upgrading something on my board and I’m looking for suggestions. I play mostly power pop, 60s garage and British Invasion covers.
Here’s my current chain:

Rickenbacker 335 or Rickenbacker 330-12

Germanium Fuzz (rotosound mkiii reissue)
Compressor (1980/81 MXR dyna comp)
Boost (Zvex Super Hard On)
Volume Pedal (Dunlop TVP-1)
Delay (Rotosound Aftermath)

I usually rely on my amps for tremolo and reverb:
(Vox AC30 6TB, Fender Super Reverb, Hiwatt DR504)

I’m torn on whether I want to get a JangleBox compressor and ditch the Dyna Comp or go with an earlier fuzz circuit like a Mk i or ii Tone Bender or maybe even a Pepbox or FuzzRite

What would you ?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Should I upgrade my fuzz or my compressor?

Post by jdogric12 »

You've got a pretty well-rounded board for what you need. Wild thought - if your 335 has toasters, maybe try some hi-gains in it instead? Besides soldering it's a reversible mod and you might like the distorted tones you get with them better. Nothing wrong with a JangleBox though!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

That's a fine set of pedals you have there - while some may not be my personal preferences, I'd be curious to know what you feel is lacking from your current setup?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

How about a phaser or flanger for some psychedelic flavor?
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Rush Pepbox all the way, but make sure it’s an original by Lucy Rush (Pepe Rush). Avoid the clone made by others. https://www.rushamps.com/order/
Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Thanks for the replies!

It may seem silly but I kinda just miss the hunt, apart from the aftermath delay nothing has come on or off this board for close to 2 years (and that’s a long life in pedalboard years!) I really like what I get out of these pedals and they all get their fair share of use but I’m looking for something to spark some new inspiration in this area of my rig.

I have very little experience with flangers, I played a fulltone choral-flange about 10 years ago and I just couldn’t get into it but do you have any tips if I were to try some more ?

2 of the pedals I mentioned selling in my OP were phasers that won’t really be missed. The one phaser I have bonded with in the past was an MXR phase 45 and I might try again.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Too bad you don't have ROS or you could run stereo. That would be a fun addition. Dane here (aceonbass) makes harnesses that allow for switching between mono and stereo with a single jack like your 330's have.
Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on a silver JangleBox, #1 reason was that when I built this board I didn’t use a 12 string nearly half as much as I do now and felt that this would probably be getting the most amount of use as the Dyna Comp was an “always on” pedal whenever I’m playing my 12.

Thanks for all the input!
rkbsound wrote:Rush Pepbox all the way, but make sure it’s an original by Lucy Rush (Pepe Rush). Avoid the clone made by others. https://www.rushamps.com/order/
This post especially! The Lucy Rush Pepbox will likely be the next pedal to find its way onto my board after a few other things I have for sale go.
Wizz

Post by Wizz »

JangleBox in place on the board and loving it! Thanks again to all who weighed in.
Attachments
0DFCFC9D-B1C7-4073-BE36-16EC8615C865.jpeg
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

I've never been able to make compressors sound good.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”