SHOW US YOUR PEDALBOARDS!

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

8mileshigher

SHOW US YOUR PEDALBOARDS!

Post by 8mileshigher »

At the NAMM 2018 show, Pedals and PedalBoard mania seemed to be riding high ! There were boutique Pedal makers everywhere and lots of companies selling all kinds of pedal boards and accessories and contraptions for mounting pedals, etc. However, the prices advertised on pedal boards and accessories were also sky high. :(

As I was inclined to jump into the pedal euphoria, but didn't want to spend big bucks on another pedal board, I decided to make a "second deck" extension for my Boss BCB-60 plastic pedal board, to add a bunch of pedals I had lying around.

At first I sawed some Redwood for the extension deck --- but this proved too soft and the wood was splintering and chipping at the edges. Redwood would not make it for the abuse a pedalboard takes. I had some nice hardwood Mahogany pieces from some past woodshop projects and this worked fine. I cut and notched the leg pieces using a jigsaw and sander. I spray painted the sanded Mahogany pieces Flat Black and assembled the "Second Deck" with glue and drywall screws and I glued felt pieces on the feet and any parts of the wood coming in contact with the plastic pedal board to minimize wear. The pedals are adhered to the Second Deck with Velcro and daisy-chain connected with minimal space connector-plugs. I got a second 1-Spot Power Supply connecting cord, so my set up now has one 1-Spot for the ground level pedals and another 1-Spot for the upper deck, meaning I can use each independent of the other, if desired, or connected together (as pictured) using two simple plugs.

The Second Deck is designed to give access to the Output jacks in the North West corner of the Boss Pedal Board and it enables full viewing and unobstructed use of the Chromatic Tuner on the ground level North East corner. There was just enough lateral room to cram five Boss pedals on the Deck with the spacer-plug connectors.

I used the pedal board at the Memorial Jam Session last Sunday at Bombshelter and it worked fine (see picture)

The current pedal board line up is:

Rickenbacker -> plug into board
-> Boss Chromatic Tuner
-> Dunlop original Crybaby Wah
-> Original Janglebox Compressor
-> Fulltone PlimSoul dual stage Overdrive
-> Boss AC3 Acoustic Simulator
-> Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer
-> Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress Flange and Envelope Filter
-> to Second Deck
-> Boss Super Octave OC3
-> Boss Digital Delay DD3
-> Boss Distortion DS1
-> Boss Phase Shifter PH3
-> Boss Compression Sustainer CS3 (for Clean Boost)
-> to Output Jack

Maybe thinking about consulting 8) Snowman on getting a AmpTweaker pedal to replace one of these ....
Attachments
Spray painted Flat Black the cut and sanded  mahogany wood pieces
Spray painted Flat Black the cut and sanded mahogany wood pieces
Detail of notched feet of assembled Second Deck
Detail of notched feet of assembled Second Deck
Detail of North West corner where Second Deck fits near Output Jacks
Detail of North West corner where Second Deck fits near Output Jacks
The finshed  Second Deck of pedals positioned on the Boss BCB-60 pedalboard using 1-Spot power supply cords
The finshed Second Deck of pedals positioned on the Boss BCB-60 pedalboard using 1-Spot power supply cords
Modified Pedal Board in use at Sunday's Memorial Jam. Board at feet of Spence playing 370WB, Scotty playing the V63 bass and Paulie singing and dancing .... on a Ramones number
Modified Pedal Board in use at Sunday's Memorial Jam. Board at feet of Spence playing 370WB, Scotty playing the V63 bass and Paulie singing and dancing .... on a Ramones number

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”