SHOW US YOUR PEDALBOARDS!

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: SHOW US YOUR PEDALBOARDS!

Post by whojamfan »

jps wrote:Anybody here use either a Strymon Flint or a Fulltone Supa-Trem?
Just tried out one of those spankin new VHT mello-verb pedals and it was pretty impressive as a Fender type 3 control reverb and 4 knob trem that could also boost. $119 street ain't bad and it sounded pretty darn good. :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hmm, I'll check it out if there is a shop around here that might have it, VHT makes some really nice stuff. Mostly though, I am interested in getting another tremolo pedal; I sold the Voodoo Lab one I had a few years ago but now I am in a band where tremolo could come in handy. I could just buy another one of those but I feel like trying a different one for the educational value that would provide. :shock: Certainly not because of GAS, right? :mrgreen:

I suppose I could just take the chassis of my Concert Amp out of the combo case and use that...oh, wait, there's no preamp out on it. :roll: The Vibremolo® in it sounds fabulous, and the Flint captures it pretty well, from the video demos I have watched. I suppose reverb could come in handy, too. :)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Does anyone make a mellotron simulator pedal? :?:
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kiramdear wrote:Does anyone make a mellotron simulator pedal? :?:
This maybe? It's white!
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Interesting, although it does look like a washing machine (which probably weighs about as much as a mellotron!) :) 8)

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ashgray wrote:Interesting, although it does look like a washing machine (which probably weighs about as much as a mellotron!) :) 8)

Ash
It's really clean!
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

If it's as clean as my old mellotron, it's probably been through my old washing machine! :lol:

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Must have been a pretty large washing machine! :lol:
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

As I said in my previous posts, I try to keep my effects rig as simple as possible. I run my 330/12 through a JangleBox JB2 and a J-Gate, and then into my Fender Princeton Chorus amp. And my rig for the 360/12c63 is as simple as it gets: the guitar goes right into the Top Boost channel of my Vox AC15C1. Likewise, for jazz, I run my Guild X-170 archtop directly into my Fender amp, with the reverb turned all the way down. This creates some very rich, fat, mellow tones, particularly with D'Addario Chromes on the guitar.

For great blues and rock sounds, I've custom-designed a number of patches on my GT-100 multi-effects unit, which work nicely with my Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Model Stratocaster and my PRS SE Tremonti. As I've said, I don't like the onboard wah, so I often insert my CryBaby 535Q into the signal chain. The GT-100 is so versatile that the tonal possibilities are almost limitless. 8) And it sure beats daisy-chaining 10 or 15 pedals together!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Still loving my Amptweaker Swirlpool pedal for analog vibrato and/or tremolo-very amplike with way more control. Check out the youtube vids on it.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

There hasn't been much change to my board, but I've changed around overdrives, and swapped things out. I ditched the Tube Screamer (yes, Snowman, it finally happened!) and replaced it with a Way Huge Green Rhino, and it drives the Red Llama. I find the Rhino is best as a rhythmic crunch, and the Llama is great as a solo boost for that crunch. Together, they equal a thick, creamy overdrive that I find heavenly.

The Rhino does very well on it's own, even in front of a clean amp, but the Llama likes being driven by other overdrives and doesn't work well in front of a clean amp. They compliment each other, and are two peas in a pod.
Attachments
001.jpg
004.jpg
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

idealassets wrote:Has anyone considered a multi-effects unit?
I'm not keen on them, but there are a few folks who are and can share they're experiences. If I were gonna go that way, I'd look no further than a Vox Tonelab.[/quote]

I use two of the old Ibanez UE Multi-Effects Units, the 400 and 405. Big, bulky and not much fun to lug to gigs, but they sound great. They're usually patched up with a Mu-tron Wah/Volume pedal, TS-9 Tube Screamer and Big Muff or Prescription Electronics Yardbox on the floor and an Ibanez AD-230 Delay/Flanger in the rack. If I'm using my old AC30, there's also an old Electra EP250 in the rack, which I use for its spring reverb or a VanAmps Solemate reverb on the floor. So most of my effects are in a rack and not on the floor.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Those old Ibanez units are nice, a buddy of mine has gigged steadily with his since it was new.( Yeah, he's that old :D )

Multieffects units are so hit and miss, some things sound good and other things are unusable, like Phase Shifters that sound like a compressed flat tire :shock:
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

Cheers. I agree with you about multi-effects, there is always a compromise with these units and something always ends up sounding truly awful, particularly with some of the current multi-effects and modelling amps.

I guess that's why I've stuck with these old Ibanez rack units, because they are essentially just a bunch of pedals in a box, with each "component/pedal" designed with a specific purpose in mind. The pedal components that make up the UE-400 are the same as the CP-835 Compressor II, PT-909 Phase Tone and FL-301 Flanger, the Overdrive is similar to an TS-808 Tube Screamer, but the circuit is a bit different and I prefer my TS-9 Tube Screamer or Boss OD-1 pedal to it. The UE-405's circuits are the same as the CP-9 Compressor, CS-505 Chorus, PQ-401 Parametric Equalizer and AD-80 Analog Delay and I favour the compressor on this unit over the one in the UE-400.

Apart from being a great sounding set of pedals lumped together, I like the functionality of the insta-patch system that allows you to move each pedal component around in the chain without having to unplug pedals and reconfigure your pedal board.
Brian Krashpad

Post by Brian Krashpad »

Church gig:

Punk rock gig:

:wink:

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”