Keeley 4 knob compressor pedal

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

peterjcb

Keeley 4 knob compressor pedal

Post by peterjcb »

Hi all,
I"m just getting back into playing again after many,many years.....sold a Hagstrom II that I purchased new in 1967 and just purchased a 1991 330 12-string JetGlo which was one of my dream guitars back in the day but I couldn't dream of actually affording one back then.
The question I have is about compressor pedals. I've heard good things about them and other say that they don't notice a difference. I've never used one before but just picked up a used Keeley for a very good price so If I don't like it, I can easily resell it.
Anyway, any information about them would be helpful especially with a 12 string.
Here's a quick pic of my beautiful 330 JetGlo in mint condition.... :)
Attachments
18620629_10212973296115813_8180793733229275301_o.jpg
Rickenbacker 1991 330-12 JetGlo | Gibson 2016 Firebird T vintage sunburst
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Keeley 4 knob compressor pedal

Post by Folkie »

Congratulations, Peter, on the purchase of your first Rickenbacker 12-string! Many of the folks here prefer Janglebox compressors, which are in the same price range as the four-knob Keeley. When dialed in right, they really capture that quintessential Byrds sound. The Jangleboxes have a treble boost, and the Keeley does not. However the Keeley is much quieter than the JB's, which tend to produce a lot of hiss when you stop playing. The Janglebox compressors can only be bought directly from the owner. You might check out their website (http://www.janglebox.com) for sound clips. Best of luck in finding a compressor with the right sweet spot. And enjoy your new beauty!
peterjcb

Post by peterjcb »

thanks...good to know. I'm more of a purist and not big into effects of any sort...just thought that with a 12 string a basic compressor might be a good idea to get a cleaner sound.
BTW, I still have the original Wah-Wah pedal that I purchased back in the 60's...never sold it and I'm looking forward to seeing what it sounds like on a 12 string! It might be a trip....:)
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Folkie wrote:... The Janglebox compressors can only be bought directly from the owner. ...
If my memory serves me right, I purchased my JangleBox from Musictoyz.com
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I bought my JB2 in 2010, and, at the time, I didn't know of any stores online or otherwise that carried them. It looks like the seller you referenced is adding a surcharge to the retail price. Probably cheaper to order one directly through Steve Lasko.
peterjcb

Post by peterjcb »

Well the Keeley arrived today and never having a compressor before, I plugged it in backwards and didn't think it was working so I immediately called Keeley and got Robert Keeley on the phone.
He educated me and I corrected my mistake by reversing the plugs.... :oops:

He also suggested the knob settings on the device for me and it's a good starting point for me to tweak the settings myself eventually.
Overall I'm pretty impressed with it and would recommend it. I honestly can't imagine wanting any more treble boost ....especially with a Rickenbacker 12 string.
It's built very well....I also like the fact that I was able to talk to someone directly on the phone and resolve my problem....great customer service!

The icing on the cake for me was the fact that I bought it used in Mint condition for $115......:)
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Wow, Peter! You got a great price on the Keeley. Should give you all the signal squash you want, without treble overload.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”