Grunge anyone?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: Grunge anyone?

Post by sowhat »

I see people dressed like xxxx vs people dressed well at a ratio of about 97-3 everyday. I doubt any of them are grunge fans!
It also depends on what you consider to be "like xxxx". To me, it's nuclear pink (or nuclear whatever, for that matter) vinyl and such, and those who wear that kind of stuff most likely aren't fans of grunge (and most likely they think they look cool and i am "dressed like sh@t"). And moreover, on some, torn jeans, shirt under t-shirt, heavy boots etc look cool, while if they put on a smart suit with a tie, they'd look ridiculous. It depends. :twisted:
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Me & my friends were big fans of the legendary Vancouver hardcore band DOA in the early 80's. DOA wore ripped jeans, t-shirts under flannel shirts and combat boots. The bass player had long hair (for a punk) that was bleach blond. The 'grunge look' was a decade behind the times, imo. FWIW, Kurt Cobain was also a big DOA fan.
sowhat wrote:And moreover, on some, torn jeans, shirt under t-shirt, heavy boots etc look cool, while if they put on a smart suit with a tie, they'd look ridiculous. It depends. :twisted:
I still wear military shorts & Chuck Taylors all summer, as evidenced by my avatar. I'm just an old punk at heart, I guess.
Truth of the matter is, I look good in anything. 8) :lol:
Last edited by captsandwich on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

I saw DOA with JFA and Dead Aim in the mid 80s.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

They were awesome live, weren't they? I spent high school in St John's Newfoundland (look it up on a map) and they were the first indie band to come out there. Slept on the floor in my friend's mother's basement, drove (and took a ferry) over 1000 kms from the nearest other show on that tour.
Imo, they were the prototype for grunge.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

captsandwich wrote:Me & my friends were big fans of the legendary Vancouver hardcore band DOA in the early 80's. DOA wore ripped jeans, t-shirts under flannel shirts and combat boots. The bass player had long hair (for a punk) that was bleach blond. The 'grunge look' was a decade behind the times, imo. FWIW, Kurt Cobain was also a big DOA fan.
I still wear military shorts & Chuck Taylors all summer, as evidenced by my avatar. I'm just an old punk at heart, I guess.
When i was a teenager, a t-shirt under the shirt wasn't considered to be as cool as a t-shirt over the shirt or a polo neck.
But overall, good call. The so-called "grunge look" was there before grunge, and if you want shorts, check out Angus Young. :twisted:
PS: hey, another fan of converse! That's cool! :wink:
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

PS: if you say DOA's bass player had a hair "long for a punk", then how about Joey Ramone?! :roll:
captsandwich wrote:Truth of the matter is, I look good in anything.
Lucky boy. :twisted:
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

captsandwich wrote:They were awesome live, weren't they? I spent high school in St John's Newfoundland (look it up on a map) and they were the first indie band to come out there. Slept on the floor in my friend's mother's basement, drove (and took a ferry) over 1000 kms from the nearest other show on that tour.
Imo, they were the prototype for grunge.
to be honest, i barely remember it. they were playing in a laser tag place and we were coming and going.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

longhouse wrote: I got the impression that most grunge players were either failed metal players or skilled metal players looking for a band. Lyric-wise grunge was just as ridiculous as the cockrock hairbands they supposedly supplanted. But instead of pompous excess the messages was essentially 'Daddy didn't buy me that pony when I was 9 so I do heroin and destroy myself'. Pardon the gross exaggeration, but that's what grunge said to ME.

The ghost of grunge still haunts music I'm afraid, but thankfully its Big Muff flannel salad days have passed.
"Grunge is what happened when the children of divorce were given flannel shirts and guitars."

I don't know who said it first, but it still gets a chuckle from me.

I recently heard an interview of Dave Grohl by Terry Gross (Fresh Air). What a sweet, gentle soul, I thought. Completely at odds with the whole Nirvana "let's trash the drums" stage presence.

Anybody here think that Courtney had something to do with Kurt's "suicide"?
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Duh. As they say, "whenever there's a trouble, cherchez la femme". I haven't been there so i cannot know what happened, and i'm not the one to judge. Still, since i never liked Courtney, it'd be perhaps soothing to think she had something to do with his passing...
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

jingle_jangle wrote:I recently heard an interview of Dave Grohl by Terry Gross (Fresh Air). What a sweet, gentle soul, I thought. Completely at odds with the whole Nirvana "let's trash the drums" stage presence.
Dave was on TV here before Christmas and said "I wouldn't want to talk to me from those days. I was an ***hole!"
Or something to that effect.

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1683

Funny guy and talented musician.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

jingle_jangle wrote:
longhouse wrote:
If she was my wife I'd want to die too.

Speculation is that she paid this guy to kill Curt Gobang:

That's the awesome El Duce from the band THE MENTORS. One of the funniest guys to ever live.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldon_Hoke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mentors
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I remember him from Wally George's show. He was probably the most politically-incorrect human ever to walk the face of the earth.

(Oh, except for Wally himself...)

Wally is actress Rebecca DeMornay's father. God only knows what he thought when she shacked up with daddyo Leonard Cohen.

Wally and Rebecca are not on speaking terms.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

You know... it's easy to mention Courtney Hole when talking about Kurt / Grunge.

BUT

This conversation has touched on Rebecca DeMornay, Angus Young, and the venerable Leonard Cohen also. Amazing.

I still chuckle when I hear the Todd Snider song. Grunge was a surprising phenomenom, much like Cabbage Patch Kids or Tickle Me Elmo. Many of us were left asking 'what the h...?'. But I maintain that good music either typifies or defies genre and indeed some good songs DID emerge from the rain-soaked flannel hairshirts. Maybe it was just luck.

Even Billy Pumpkin, whose songs are often earbleedingly bad, nailed a few classics. 'Disarm' and 'Tonight' are stunners. Pearl Jam (the band with a name nearly as nasty as 10CC) came very close to rocking too. Shame they never could get into 4th gear musically. Always sounded like a big fat car that couldn't get up to speed.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

I've got a DVD of that Wally George show with The Mentors. HILARIOUS.

Duce was a nice guy when not in character. He'd give the shirt off his back to anyone who needed it at anytime.
btomlinson

Post by btomlinson »

IMO grunge seemed to remove grade D metal music (i.e. Warrant) over night. Seemed harsh but it was refreshing. It did not last too long,. That was refreshing as well. Back to Neil Young, Guns & Roses and R.E.M., and as I am in my late 30's, Kathleen Edwards, Lucinda Williams and Steve Earl. Grunge was fun but I am glad I have moved on. The rage now is High School Musical and Hannah Montana. In my world any way.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”