Basic stereotypes?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Basic stereotypes?

Post by sowhat »

Hi gang, what ho or whatever, as you wish.
It's no secret or surprise that almost every time something new appears and strikes, in no time it finds itself surrounded by a sort of hype coupled with stereotypes worked out (sometimes invented) in order to "classify" and "attach a label, put in a box, a-ok". So what are the stereotypes about punk rock and punk rockers you've bumped into? Which of them have something to do with reality and which are based on a ground so thin that they fall down once you touch them with a little finger?
Just to start with, of course the list is far from being complete. Some of them "punk-shoulds", even though personally, i think the words "punk" and "should" are not likely to belong within the same sentence.
1. Punk rock is music played fast and loud by the guys who cannot really play.
2. A punk rocker cares for nobody but himself/herself.
3. A punk rocker is always against.
4. A true (huuuuh?) punk rocker should always stand for [insert your text here]...
5. A true punk rocker drinks cheapest booze and smokes cheapest cigarettes.
6. [Insert whatever about "true punk look" you've ever heard from somebody]
7. In no way a true punk band would sell out to a major label.
8. A true punk is always rude to everyone (uh-oh, yeah, i've been said that too, lol).
And so on.
Waiting for your suggestions and thoughts.
Yours truly,
SC.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: Basic stereotypes?

Post by blueflamerick »

I don't believe any of that nonsense. I know lots of punk rockers that are caring people that drink good booze and can play the hell out of their instruments. To quote the late, great D Boon, "punk is whatever we made it to be."
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

The best punks were around before the term was invented. Some of them a very long time before. I think it's a state of mind, and doesn't necessarily involve any of the popular stereotypes.
All I wanna do is rock!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

blueflamerick wrote:I don't believe any of that nonsense. I know lots of punk rockers that are caring people that drink good booze and can play the hell out of their instruments. To quote the late, great D Boon, "punk is whatever we made it to be."
Right you are. Actually, i laugh out loud when i hear any of these. It's just — i thought it could've been a funny thing to make a "collection" of that sort of nonsense. Um, anyway.
kiramdear wrote:The best punks were around before the term was invented. Some of them a very long time before. I think it's a state of mind, and doesn't necessarily involve any of the popular stereotypes.
We youngsters must start banging our head against the wall now. :twisted: Kiddin'. Yeah, once a term appears to describe you, it's like you're said, "and now you've got to fit in with, kid". Allright, "call me whatever. Call me a night-stool, just please keep your natural deeds away from me" (© local saying).
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Plus, you've got to consider that punk in the UK and Europe was different than punk in the US. There it was a movement while here it was a fashion statement.

Or is that also a stereotype?
All I wanna do is rock!
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

Thinking you're a Punk today is the same as thinking you're a Hippie or a Mod.

That bus has left the station long ago.

(not a stereotype, but the truth).
Rickenbacker player since 1978
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

johnnysain wrote:That bus has left the station long ago.

if that were the truth about the bus having left the station no world or life view like claiming to be a marxist or a buddhist or any view which was popular one time or another would be valid today either. I just have to disagree and think one can be a punk, or mod or hippie on various levels in this day and age.

I think the stereotypes are like, e.g., all hippies smoke pot and have free sex all of the time. People who're not part of the movement tend to magnify the aspects that shock or upset them most.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

One great thing about "punk", and all of it's incarnations, is that great musicianship from a technical standpoint is not required. So the door is open to virtually anyone -- even to me! But that doesn't mean that punk rockers are not great, technical musicians. To me, the sound is all about the rhythm and feel, and technical chops become more difficult to define. So many great "technical" guitar players sound just awful. Anyway, I think that's where part of myth #1 originates.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

johnnysain wrote:Thinking you're a Punk today is the same as thinking you're a Hippie or a Mod.
Truth? Huh. Okay. Now that's something i really couldn't care less about. :twisted:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

sowhat wrote:
johnnysain wrote:Thinking you're a Punk today is the same as thinking you're a Hippie or a Mod.
Truth? Huh. Okay. Now that's something i really couldn't care less about. :twisted:
I'm happy to have "missed the bus" Never been a trendy and never will be!

I've said it before here, and I'll say it again. Punk rock is alive and well worldwide and just as relevant politically and socially as it ever was. There are numerous styles, attitudes, and approaches to it, and probably maintains the highest level of stereotypes of any scene. It has been both a movement and a way of life worldwide for people who feel it provides them an outlet and a forum in a world that is dead set against individual thought or action.

Just because punk isn't relevant to you doesn't make it null and void, or any less relevant to those involved.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Know what, Mike? I love you, man. :wink: I mean, in a friendly way, of course.
Great point about being/not being "trendy".
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

True and original meaning of the word "Punk":
Outsider..... or Prostitute....

emac.
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

I believe Jello spoke for us all when he said "Punks not dead it just deserves to die when it becomes another cartoon cult"
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I'm more along the lines of Micky Fitz singing "don't fight each other, fight the real enemy"
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

whojamfan wrote:I'm more along the lines of Micky Fitz singing "don't fight each other, fight the real enemy"
oh my ... what memories the Business conjure up... ever seen 'em live??? it's like Skinhead karaoke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”