I Can Start Playing Guitar Again

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

As some of you may or may not know, on August 28th I fell during Hurricane Harvey, breaking my right humerus while separating the shoulder. I had surgery on September 15th and a "centipede" was installed in my right arm. I've been having rehab three times a week since.

While going through yesterday's exercises, the therapist & I were discussing the lack of me being able to play any guitar. Afterwards, I got my Strat (probably my heaviest guitar) out and demonstrated to her that I would not be putting any weight on my right arm & hand while sitting down and wearing a strap. Then I played a few chords with the RIC 730S (again sitting down and wearing a strap). Anyways, in order to work on my "range of motion", she's okayed me to play no more than 10 minutes at a time, with at least 2 or 3 hours between sessions. She'll address the issue again tomorrow morning.

BTW, I learned very quickly that I can not tune the guitar(s) using the right hand to turn keywinds.

Furthermore, I consider myself to be luckier than most of Houston as I had no water enter the house or garage. Some of my neighbors were not so lucky.
Attachments
The water was still rising when this picture was taken.
The water was still rising when this picture was taken.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: I Can Start Playing Guitar Again

Post by libratune »

Richard, good to hear you are on the road to recovery -- and that playing guitar is part of your physical therapy.

Be well soon.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Keep playing Richard.Get better soon mate.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The value of playing a musical instrument as a vehicle of rehab is greatly underestimated. Over ten years ago, I had blood clots and I lost the use of my left hand for awhile. I never told anybody. I was going to be dammed if I could not get myself back to playing. Starting slowly, with the "thumb-to-the-tip-of-each-finger," etc., I worked my way back to gigging. In the meantime, being so left-handed, the added benefit is that my right hand picked up the slack and I finger-pick better than I ever could before.

Hang in there. Yes, keep the weight off, but the coordination and actions it takes to re-learn how to play are probably the best "range-of-motion" exercises I believe there are, in my not-so-humble opinion, and having no medical reference except my own rehab.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congratulations Richard, I am glad you are going forward. Easy does it. Photos welcomed of your journey playing guitar once again. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Richard --- glad to hear your recovery is making progress ! :D

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”