SHHHHHHH-it's a secret!

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

SHHHHHHH-it's a secret!

Post by elreydlp »

Secret Samurai-surprize hit of the recent Eddie Bertrand Benefit!
These guys ROCK!

Find out more:

http://secretsamurai.org/?page_id=15
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: SHHHHHHH-it's a secret!

Post by jingle_jangle »

Those geeks WAIL. Fine sound, and a killer demonstration of the reason Strats make such killer lead guitars in surf music. It's the pickups + scale length + nice, high string tension= you can feel the crackle!

Wanna try this on a Jag, though... :(
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

jingle_jangle wrote:Those geeks WAIL. Fine sound, and a killer demonstration of the reason Strats make such killer lead guitars in surf music. It's the pickups + scale length + nice, high string tension= you can feel the crackle!

Wanna try this on a Jag, though... :(
It'll sound something like this..............albeit with a little less sustain:

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ummm...your prejudices are showing...
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

jingle_jangle wrote:Ummm...your prejudices are showing...
MOI! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :P
I have to keep up appearances or kenposurf will worry about me.

This is a friend on another sites signature:

"I want less sustain. My notes are so tortured it seems only humane to let them die as quickly as possible."

I told him a Jag with flatwounds would be the perfect guitar for him.

I owned a Jag once ('65) and used it on 1 song-"Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" (seriously)! When we quit playing the song, I sold it. I have since learned that in the right hands (not mine), they can deliver the goods.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I agree--Jags with flats are not sustain machines! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, the tone can't be gotten any other way.

(Did I tell you about George putting 1-megohm pots on his Strat in an attempt to get some Jag tones? He got close...)

I just picked up a '99 AVRI which was a case queen (NAMM prototype/ad photograph guitar) with its original flatties on it. It's perfect. For a Jag. Which I love!

My whole point about the above video is that is so clearly shows the Strat's strong points. Wonderful.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

jingle_jangle wrote:I agree--Jags with flats are not sustain machines! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, the tone can't be gotten any other way.

(Did I tell you about George putting 1-megohm pots on his Strat in an attempt to get some Jag tones? He got close...)

I just picked up a '99 AVRI which was a case queen (NAMM prototype/ad photograph guitar) with its original flatties on it. It's perfect. For a Jag. Which I love!

My whole point about the above video is that is so clearly shows the Strat's strong points. Wonderful.

1 meg pots and switching to combine neck and bridge pups...the pups are Novak Vintage Jag..slightly overwound. These mods were a result of an outdoor show that Paul and I played a few years back...I started w/my Strat prior to the mods and Paul played a Jag (or maybe a JM) In any event I couldn't cut through so after a few songs switched over to my Tikimaster (JM clone) with P-90 which worked much better..that was a fun time!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

jingle_jangle wrote: My whole point about the above video is that is so clearly shows the Strat's strong points. Wonderful.
You made that point quite eloquently Paul-and I agree. I was just having a little fun with you and George.
Go to the surfguitar101 site or Unsteady Freddies youtube channel, and check out "The Riptides". One of the guitar players had one of the Korean-made Epi sheraton II's with full-sized humbuckers and a bigsby, and i swear he was getting a great Jag/Jazzy with flats tone.

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”