Photographs of the 480 Series

Capturing Guitar images
Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Photographs of the 480 Series

Post by Grey »

I think the pickups are too close together to discern any real difference other than increased overall output with the addidition of the middle pickup.

I question the usefulness of the middle pickup on most Rickenbacker guitars but that's a debate for a different thread.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I have a 320 wired with only 2 volume pots, no resistors or caps. Selector switch selects neck, bridge, neck+bridge, goes to one volume pot.

Middle pickup goes directly to second volume pot. You can roll it in anywhere from completely off, to WFO. So this is essentially a separate circuit for the middle pickup.

That's it, and you wouldn't believe the tonal combinations and variations that I can get with only 2 knobs.

Conclusion: The middle pickup makes a substantial, easily discernable contribution to the sound of the guitar.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jingle_jangle wrote:I have a 320 wired with only 2 volume pots, no resistors or caps. Selector switch selects neck, bridge, neck+bridge, goes to one volume pot.

Middle pickup goes directly to second volume pot. You can roll it in anywhere from completely off, to WFO. So this is essentially a separate circuit for the middle pickup.

That's it, and you wouldn't believe the tonal combinations and variations that I can get with only 2 knobs.

Conclusion: The middle pickup makes a substantial, easily discernable contribution to the sound of the guitar.
THAT is cool.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jingle_jangle wrote:I have a 320 wired with only 2 volume pots, no resistors or caps. Selector switch selects neck, bridge, neck+bridge, goes to one volume pot.

Oh, I wasen't saying that a middle pickup is useless, on the contrary, neck + middle is probably my favorite combination on a Strat. My quip was that I don't see much use in the way Rickenbacker wires them up at the factory.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yup, the way they're wired together, it will give a slightly thicker sound. Taking that one step further and splitting them makes all the difference. Agreed, then.
AlohaT

Post by AlohaT »

Maybe you folks have seen this already but it is a first for me and I wondered when one of these would pop up on eBay... item number; 370723241422 Rickenbacker vintage 1974 model 483 Fireglo ultra rare near mint OHSC
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Not something that you see everyday .... here are two 480's at once :) .... Rich's 1973 model 480 that was refinished in Daphne Blue and Gary's 1974 Mapleglo model that is 100% original. This was cross posted in the Rickenbacker Confluences and Conferences forum, pic taken at our Mini Confluence today in Southern Calif.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=409316&p=800253#p800238
Attachments
Two 480 models at Memorial Day Weekend Mini Con.jpg
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Great picture! I've gotta get me one of those 480s some day...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Back from the dead.
480AD30.png
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Grey wrote:Back from the dead.
The guitar or the thread? :lol:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jps wrote:The guitar or the thread? :lol:
Both. :wink:
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Erik,
when did you change the "R" tailpiece to the Trapeze ?
With that Orange amp and the 480, it looks like some serious, beefy tone can be cranked out !! 8)
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

8mileshigher wrote:Erik,
when did you change the "R" tailpiece to the Trapeze ?
With that Orange amp and the 480, it looks like some serious, beefy tone can be cranked out !! 8)
It's got quite the nasty growl. The Hi-Gain pickups on this guitar are particularly hot, and that combined with the proximity of the bridge pickup to the strings + the cap bypassed makes for a mean sounding guitar.

I put the Trapeze on some time ago and haven't looked back, I love it. It's held in place with the strap pin so no holes were drilled in the conversion. I prefer the way it looks and re-stringing is faster.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Grey wrote:
8mileshigher wrote:With that Orange amp and the 480, it looks like some serious, beefy tone can be cranked out !! 8)
It's got quite the nasty growl. The Hi-Gain pickups on this guitar are particularly hot, and that combined with the proximity of the bridge pickup to the strings + the cap bypassed makes for a mean sounding guitar.

Yep, my 480 also has the hottest pickups of all my Rickenbackers and the Bridge High Gain pickup is so close to the strings, that it's very powerful ! ! !

I just haven't tried mine through an Orange Amp yet ! :wink:
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

I just noticed on the three 480 models photos on this page, that my pickguard has 8 screws, Gary's pickguard has six screws and Erik's pickguard has seven screws. Vive le difference ....

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”