Rickinroma in Beijing, China

Reports from China
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Rickinroma in Beijing, China

Post by rickinroma »

I just wanted to say hello to all RRF members from Beijing where I am spending a couple of weeks for business.
No Rickenbackers discovered here, although I have spotted some live music life.

Greetings
johnnysain

Re: Rickinroma in Beijing, China

Post by johnnysain »

rickinroma wrote:I just wanted to say hello to all RRF members from Beijing where I am spending a couple of weeks for business.

Greetings
Very easy to find friends there, yes? :)
Rickenbacker player since 1978
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Are you going to see Paul Yan? He lives in Beijing.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

johnnysain wrote:
rickinroma wrote:I just wanted to say hello to all RRF members from Beijing where I am spending a couple of weeks for business.

Greetings
Very easy to find friends there, yes? :)
people are really nice and always smiling, although almost nobody speaks english
Taking a taxi can be a challenge, as many of the drivers do not know the addresses you show them (in chinese of course) even if located in the centre of the city

I am leaving back this Friday
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

I've been there.

If you're staying at a hotel (likely).

Ask for the manager (or any employee that speaks English).

Request that they explain to the taxi driver how you'd like to get to your destination. Maybe even print out or draw a simple map.

I'm not saying you've run into any, but many taxi drivers there feign ignorance over addresses with foreigners.

Once they know that you're unaware of which way to go, they'll take you the 'long way' making much more money.

If they think that you know the directions, they'll take the correct route.

This is a very common ploy in the large Chinese cities.

Good luck and enjoy!
Rickenbacker player since 1978
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Sorry to find this thread so late, Francesco! Work has been heavy and busy during the past year and I hardly had time to log on to participate in the forum. I hope your stay in Beijing was a pleasant one.

It's a pity you didn't see any Rickenbackers during your stay but rest assured there are quite a few in this land and people seem to be catching on to the Rickenfever here. As a matter of fact, I've been advocating Rickenbacker instruments in the music circle and there are half a dozen people I know in person that have, encouraged by me, aquired their new Ricks during 2010 and have been happy. I take the phenomenon as a sign of musical awareness and progress! :D
r-gordon-7

Post by r-gordon-7 »

I travel to Beijing every 18 months or so to visit the in-laws (my wife is a Beijing native) and to lecture in the law school at Beida (Peking University). Haven't ever seen a Rickenbacker in any of the music stores I've visited there (frankly, I've seen mostly traditional Chinese instruments - gu zheng, gu qin, erhu, pipa, etc. - relatively few electric guitars, and fewer still with recognizable western brand names) - but things there change so very much between each visit - I'll keep my eyes out for a Rick or two on our next trip (fall '12)...

Return to “Chinese Chapter: by Paul Yan”