R.I.P. Tom Petty

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
Dom

R.I.P. Tom Petty

Post by Dom »

I'd been scanning the news all day hoping he would pull through and just got the news. What a terrible loss to music. I didn't know where else to go. Full Moon Fever is the first CD I ever bought (a gift for my sister which I later stole) and leafing through the liner notes was my introduction to Rickenbackers.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: R.I.P. Tom Petty

Post by jps »

RIP, Tom. :(
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Like i said on the other thread,I'm shocked ,stunned and saddened.

RIP Sir.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Yes, I heard this news on CBC radio tonight, and was really saddened by it... Even more then the mass shooting in Las Vegas in fact, likely because I felt I knew Petty, even though I never met the guy...

66 is way too young to lose such a talented songwriter and musician...
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
geordie9

Post by geordie9 »

Absolutely gutted.........another one of the true legends gone too soon. RIP Tom.
Cheers,

Steve
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 325v63 - Jetglo

2015 660/12 - Fireglo
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

Such a loss for the music world, I've always been a huge Tom Petty fan. Damn the Torpedoes is the reason I bought a 620.
Thoughts and prayers for his friends and family, rest in peace, Tom.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I heard the news late last night, and hoped the announcement, vague and uncertain as it was, was premature. Turns out it wasn't. This hits me particularly hard because Tom Petty and I are near the same age. When the last of the Baby Boomers is gone, who's going to carry on Our Music? I feel like rock'n'roll is the folk music of my generation. And Tom was one of the foremost creators of straight ahead rock'n'roll with roots back into the '60s. RIP, Tom. We're really going to miss you.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jimk wrote:...When the last of the Baby Boomers is gone, who's going to carry on Our Music?
JimK
Jake Kety.
collin

Post by collin »

jimk wrote:When the last of the Baby Boomers is gone, who's going to carry on Our Music? I feel like rock'n'roll is the folk music of my generation.
I hope this isn't misinterpreted as a slight...

....but isn't that statement the ultimate in narcissism? I see that from boomers a lot. Like the idea that what their generation created was so fabulously wonderful that it must be carried on. "Rock and Roll will never die" and all of that.

Did boomers carry on the fine musical genres that came before them? No way, they blazed their own trail and made something new as a result.

I can't speak for all 20/30-somethings, but we should aspire to be unencumbered by the weight of another generation's music. That's where EDM, hip-hop and other "electronic" genres come from, and that's not a bad thing IMO.
collin

Post by collin »

(and RIP, Tom! Another legend passes on, he was immensely talented and influential for both RnR and Rickenbacker players!)
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

RIP Tom Petty.

Rock will be around for a bit. At least another generation. Similar to young jazz musicians who are researching Parker, Coltrane and Davis. It may not be the currency, but new artists will mine those mounds of Rock just as our heroes drew on pop standards of the twenties, thirties and forties. Plenty of people are still into Beethoven! We've had it pretty good though. Certainly many of the coolest guitars were designed for our pleasure.

Any words from Mike Campbell? Gotta be profound for him and the others in the band. My thoughts go out to them.

P.S. I remember when our local "classic" rock station wouldn't play Petty, "To Punk." Let's hear another round of Aqualung!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Just heard a Fresh Air replay of a 2006 interview w/Tom Petty. There must be a pod cast of it somewhere on PBS' site.

BTW...I meant to say, too punk.
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”