Byrds - Mr. Tamborine man video with McGuinn really bored

Those who flock to The Byrds
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Byrds - Mr. Tamborine man video with McGuinn really bored

Post by scoobster28 »

I remember going through YouTube videos in the past and seeing one of the Byrds (late 1960s, perhaps early 1970s) in where they were a 4-piece act and they were playing Mr. Tamborine Man (I think) dubbed in. Roger was clearly bored and several times would play with his glasses using his hands, which clearly indicated that he wasn't playing the guitar or even trying to appear as if he was. I think he may have had on a Green overcoat.

Anyone know the video I am talking about?
bvstudios

Re: Byrds - Mr. Tamborine man video with McGuinn really bore

Post by bvstudios »

I think I do.. I think you're recalling the Ed Sullivan appearance. Turn, Turn, Turn was done live, but for some reason, MTM was lip-syched. A piece of it exists on Youtube, but I can't find the whole thing. However, in the short edit that is there, Crosby spends more time looking at the monitor (maybe) than at the audience and is off his mic for most of his performance and everyone does look as though they would rather be somewhere else.

Too bad I can't locate the whole thing. It would be an interesting study. Funny thing is that I recall watching a number of these shows as a 10-13 year older and on the fuzzy tv screen of those days, none of the obvious tips that the songs weren't live seemed to show up (or if they did, we just didn't care)...

Link to what I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9TjbdTlP4
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Thanks. I finally found the link I was thinking of from 1970: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv_4oN99ItE

As an example of what I was talking about, go to 1:34 in the video and see. It is might hard to play a 12-string guitar with one hand!
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Not even the same band members who'd made that record. :P
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

That was ludicrous. Why would they lip synch MTM?

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”