Eight Miles High

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

Eight Miles High

Post by kvalois »

Hi:

Does anyone out there know which scale "Eight Miles High" is in? I realize it is a type of E minor, but is it "pentatonic" or "dorian" or something else???

Thanks,

Karl
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Eight Miles High

Post by Folkie »

Roger McGuinn says on his DVD "The 12-String Guitar of Roger McGuinn" that the solo is based (of all things) on the Blues Scale, which is a Minor Pentatonic with an added passing tone (the flatted fifth). So that might be a good place to start. The solo was heavily influenced by the saxophonist John Coltrane.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

In Joe Deloro's article, "Chimes of Freedom: Ringing Up The Byrds' Jangle Guitar Sound," which appeared in the May 1997 issue of Guitar Player, the author writes:

"In its day there was nothing like the Coltrane-inspired 'Eight Miles High.' Using primarily E Dorian, McGuinn goes for a "sheets of sound" approach by rapidly implying modal chords supported by a raga-like pedal point."

If you don't already have it, I would strongly urge you to get a copy of McGuinn's DVD "The 12-String Guitar of Roger McGuinn," which includes a detailed lesson on the "Eight Miles High" break, along with a tab transcription of that break in an accompanying booklet.

I hope this helps. :D
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks!!! Somewhere, I had heard that it was E minor Dorian!!!
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Hey Karl , Just got back from Jackson Hole and getting caught up on things. As to your question here, knowing you I would think you would have video Folkie recommends, but just in case you don't, I do have it. So your certainly welcome to borrow it for as long as you need it. It's been a long time since I watched it, and frankly it was not necessary for Roger to spend so much time showing us how to change a string, and a battery, on the LERM but, as Folkie points out there is some very useful info included and some 8MH points you may find helpful. So let me know if you want the DVD. OR!!! maybe a better option is we fly out to CA and have David show us how to do it!!! :-))) Al
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, everyone. I do have the McGuinn 12-string video and I saw his lesson. It's mostly how he plays Eight Miles High today-- not the 1966 recording. He does show briefly how he went up and down the E scale!! :D
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I guess it has been a while since I've checked in. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

You can pretty much piece together something approaching McGuinn's '66 solo by paying attention to the DVD. Just omit the hybrid picking, and play it all flat pick style. Usually, when we play Eight Miles High in Getty Township, I just use the "India" theme, and after that I make it up, using whatever modal or blues scale happens.

JimK

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”