Flamin' Groovies

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
rictified

Flamin' Groovies

Post by rictified »

These guys were great, the first is the earliest live performance I could find on youtube, they're sometimes called a garage band so I figured they fit. Their biggest tune was Shake Some Action, probably a lot of you remember that one.

Here's a couple more, not live though but great tunes:

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Flamin' Groovies

Post by kenposurf »

Hot! :D :D :D
rictified

Post by rictified »

They used a mid 60's Ric bass on both the Flamingo and Teenage Head albums, Teenage Head which you hear here has that bass in it, those albums have some of the best Ric bass sound I've ever heard, the bass is a fireglo mid 60's 4001 with a horse shoe. George Alexander must have switched to a Fender Mustang bass after they recorded those two albums, the fireglo 4001 is in a case on the floor of the Teenage head cover if you look closely, it is also in many photos inside the CD booklet. I was wondering how he got such a great sound form a Fender Mustang, now I know it's a Ric.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I was in a band that did a lot of Flamin' Groovies covers; lot's of stuff from Teenage Head and lots of stuff from Roy Loney's solo repertoire. Things got exciting when one of the guitarists in our band, The Nads (Eugene, Oregon), got in touch with Roy and set up a Northwest tour with Roy fronting our band. I think it would have been in the fall of 1986. Loney got off the train from SF looking cool and natty, when he got back on a week later he was a little more ragged. But the guy is a great showman! Lots of Roy's music was recently released on a compilation called A Hundred Miles an Hour. Can't recommend it highly enough if you are into Rock and Roll.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Stunt

Post by Stunt »

Saw the Groovies earlier this year, no Rics in sight, unfortunately. George was playing a really modern bass, bright green IIRC, with a very small, deeply contoured body. Nothing special going on tone-wise there. Chris had a Tele, but at least Cyril was still playing the same Dan Armstrong as back in the day!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

RIP Roy Loney. The man wrote some rocking tunes, knew how to front a band and had a deep knowledge of the history of rock music. Roy Loney will be missed.
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”