Kids playing the old stuff?

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
surfinmars

Kids playing the old stuff?

Post by surfinmars »

Do any of you geezers have kids that play the oldies in a band? Or is it the domain of us greyhairs (or no hairs)?
paologregorio

Re: Kids playing the old stuff?

Post by paologregorio »

Teenagers and twenty-somethings still like a lot of the old stuff; the Beatles remain ever-popular, and when I let a fellow law-student, (22-23 years old) try out one of my Rickenbackers, he proceeded to play the solo to AC/DC's "You Shook Me All night Long" note for note; the song's age at 30+ years should technically qualify it as "old stuff."
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

For some reason, I was treated like a themepark attraction for playing Robin Trower at a guitar show. I guess they were suprised I knew who that was. :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Got the gray hair (You know how it works, right? The hair roots keep growing deeper and if they hit gray matter, they turn gray. If they hit nothing, they fall out. :P :lol: :lol: ), but no kids. So, around here, it's just us old farts playin'...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
duke

Post by duke »

My 40-year-old son has been playing and listening to surf music and '50s/'60s R&R since he was in his early teens. He's always said that he prefers it over other music. I used to think it was because of the influences around our home and bands, but he's been on his own since age 18 and still prefers the old stuff.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

The drummer in my Moody Blues tribute band is 23, the rest of us are old and crusty.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Even when I was in my teens I liked rockabilly, and KROQ used to mix it up and play 60s stuff along with the new bands, which was how I discovered the Hollies' "Bus Stop."
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

My daughter's friend was over at the house today, and she spied my copy of Johnny Rogan's updated book about The Byrds on the kitchen table.

"Oh, I really like The Byrds. They were a great band. I listen to all that music from the 60's."

And she was wearing a Doors t-shirt. I like this kid.

Maybe some of her influence will rub off on my daughter and she'll leave Lady Ga-Gag and all that stupid hip-hop behind.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

One could only hope! 8)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

drumbob wrote:My daughter's friend was over at the house today, and she spied my copy of Johnny Rogan's updated book about The Byrds on the kitchen table.

"Oh, I really like The Byrds. They were a great band. I listen to all that music from the 60's."

And she was wearing a Doors t-shirt. I like this kid.

Maybe some of her influence will rub off on my daughter and she'll leave Lady Ga-Gag and all that stupid hip-hop behind.
In one of the strangest coincidences of my life, I was pulling up to a light that had just turned red. Journey's "Captured By The Moment" was starting to play on the Ipod. Exactly as the song got to the line, "Where have they gone, the four who sang to let it be?", a young kid crossing the street rolled by on a skateboard. He turned and looked at me just as the words "let it be" were being sung by Steve Perry. It was at that exact moment that I saw the black T shirt the kid was wearing had the cover of the Beatles "Let It Be" album on it. At that point, I knew that 'they' were still around. This whole thing took place with precision timing. Power to the throwbacks!!! Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
harveyrickenbacker

Post by harveyrickenbacker »

My 16 year old son's school band did Jumping Jack Flash and Horror Movie (Skyhooks-Aussie band 70's classic) at their end of year concert a few weeks back. There were several bands that night and others covered Beatles songs and one did You Really Got Me although they (sadly) introduced it as a Van Halen song not the Kinks! There were also a couple of Coldplay songs and a bit too much rap on the night but over 50% of the songs were pre 1975.
1958 M-8 Amp, 1960 360 Capri FG, 1966 335FG, 1967 360JG, 1973 360MG, 1999 360-12JG, 2002 660-12FG, 2003 360MB
s4001

Post by s4001 »

My 12 yr old son's favorite bands are Rush, Motorhead and Deep Purple.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

I'm going to add to that;
When songs come on the radio, it's all been recorded yesterday as far as he's concerned. For whatever reason a Stones tune will appeal more to him than say Incubus. There are exceptions to the rule like Green Day, but by and large, he and all of his friends prefer older music. They just don't know most of it is older.
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

I've always loved the oldies. My Mom had the Beatles and the Byrds greatest hits, and the Everly Brothers, etc. I always listened to those in our basement library/stereo room. Ever since I didn't care what era music came from, just if I liked it. I used to get **** in college because they said I only liked music from people who were dead. :D None of them were dead at the time, just stupid uninformed people who were to close minded to like their parents music.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

duke wrote:My 40-year-old son has been playing and listening to surf music and '50s/'60s R&R since he was in his early teens. He's always said that he prefers it over other music. I used to think it was because of the influences around our home and bands, but he's been on his own since age 18 and still prefers the old stuff.
Duke
Your son is obviously gifted with a superior ear and intellect as well as excellent parenting!

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”