Wavy Grover Bass Tuners ***SOLD***

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rob
Veteran RRF member

Wavy Grover Bass Tuners ***SOLD***

Post by rob »

Do they still make these "wavy" tuners for the early 70's 4001, with "Grover USA" embossed on the back?

If not, how much would be a good price for a set of four used ones in great condition?
rictified

Post by rictified »

They haven't made those for 25 years at least. In great shape at least a hundred bucks maybe more, to find them in great shape is not an every day occurance. You'll see them on ebay occasionally. I'd put them on one though because nothing else looks right on a small headstock Ric, I paid a real lot for a set three or four years ago for my 72 4001FL.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Grossman Music, the distributor in my town for the Grovers, which BTW, were also made in my fair city (an aunt of an old girlfriend of mine worked for Grover, I got a set of those wavy keys from her for free!), do not have any more in stock and haven't had them for a long time. When I first got my '73 4001 a few years ago I went to Grossman looking for a bushing for one as only three on the bass were original and matching. The salesman looked for a long time throughout the place as he really hoped to still have one around somewhere, but with no luck. While there I was thumbing through a 1941 Grossman catalog that had Rickenbacker lapsteels and amps and the add on S-59 pickup in it, how cool. In fact some of the pictures in the Smith book are from that catalog.
dswp

Post by dswp »

I have paid in the past from $35 to $65 EACH.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah, they're expensive. I think I paid $300.00 for a nice set about 4 years ago.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

I was going through my box of spare "junk" when I came across these yesterday. I actually took these off a Hondo Rickenfaker. I remember that I thought these were the ugliest tuners in the world, and probably why they were on a Rickenfaker. Of course, I didn't know at the time that Rickenbacker actually used these.

I don't know what to do with these, but I think I'm keeping them for a while longer. Maybe I will get an early 70's 4001 someday that needs these.
rictified

Post by rictified »

They're not worth much anyway, I'd put them on ebay with a low BIN, let me know what time it starts.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Since I think you're a swell guy and great forum member, I'll let you have them at a very special low price, Bob.
rictified

Post by rictified »

If I were not unemployed and close to bankrupcy at this moment (just finished school yesterday) I'd take you up on it as they look in nice shape and are good to have around. If you still have them in a few months let me know Rob. My wife would shoot me if I bought those right now.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Hmmmm, what kind of gun does she have Bob?
Make sure she know where to shoot so the pain is at it's minimal. Image
wingfloat

Re: Wavy Grover Bass Tuners

Post by wingfloat »

I have 3 of these if anyone is interested. The usual E,A and a D or G
wingfloat

Re: Wavy Grover Bass Tuners

Post by wingfloat »

These are now sold.

Return to “The Low End”