DR Strings

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

DR Strings

Post by rickenbrother »

I'm a long time D'Addario string user. Just out of curiosity and being told by a certain forum member that claims they last longer than D'Addario strings, I'd like to finally try a set. I'm actively playing in bands now more than ever before, so more string longevity would be great. I clean my strings with Naphtha to keep the original sound as long as possible, but there is only so long that helps extend the original sound.
I know the differences between the DR Hi Beams, Low Riders, etc...
Which set and gauge do you DR bass string users install on your Rickenbackers and why?
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
woodyng

Re: DR Strings

Post by woodyng »

Joey,if you like Daddario strings,( and i do not),you may not find the relaxed feel and flexibility of most DR strings to your liking. I have used lo-riders,hi-beams,sunbeams,and fatbeams on my Ricks,and other basses for a long time. ( the sunbeams are my favorite,they are nickle strings.) I usually go with the 45-100 set,but i've also used their 45-105 set,too.
If you wanna try something different,you may wanna consider Circle K strings. I like them even more than the DR's,and the set on my Laredo have been on there for several years now.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I just got a used 4004 and I took it to my LunaFest gig a couple of days after purchase and it sounded so great in a jazz setting, even with the frets. I contacted the seller, "What are these strings just so I know..?" And he goes "SunBeams". :shock: It really made me rethink things.I thought down to the bottom of my heart I hated these strings but they were actually pretty amazing this time around. Maybe when I have installed them in the past I have not done it properly, even though I think I followed the written instructions pretty well. Or DR strings could be like TI Jazz Flats and only take well to certain basses. (Are TIs also round core...? Hmmm.)

Now I kind of want to try some more varieties out. What impresses me with the Sunbeams (it's a medium set, 45-105) is how evenly the strings ring out. I wonder if their B strings are also like this--they make .130'' and .125''. FatBeams and Hi-Beams are on my radar.

I agree that the feel of these strings is often floppier but in the case of the well set up 4004 they don't feel that way, other than a little more "slink" when you are soloing/improvising up high that translates into cool sounds.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Yes,i didn't mean to imply the DR's were floppy,(they aren't),just that in comparison to the D-adds,they're not as stiff feeling. Sorry for the confusion.
And my favorite DR's are the sunbeams,which are roundcore based. Now that i think of it,it seems like the hexcore based DR set i tried was a bit stiffer feeling,so that might be a good compromise.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

DR High Beams were "THE" string for my red 4004 CII.

Something about them and that bass were magic.
"Knowledge is Power"
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cheyenne wrote:DR High Beams were "THE" string for my red 4004 CII.

Something about them and that bass were magic.
Which string gauge did you use?
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I used the medium lite guage. .45-.65-.80-.100
"Knowledge is Power"
marcinkus
Veteran RRF member

Post by marcinkus »

I use Hi beams 45 60 80 105 on all my ricks and I love them. :oops:
'96 4004C | '98 4003 | '00 4003vp | '05 4003 Custom | '08 4004Cii | '16 4000 Conversion
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

cheyenne wrote:I used the medium lite guage. .45-.65-.80-.100
Do they sell a pack in those gauges? I can't find one. 45-65-85-105 seems common though.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cassius987 wrote:
cheyenne wrote:I used the medium lite guage. .45-.65-.80-.100
Do they sell a pack in those gauges? I can't find one. 45-65-85-105 seems common though.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRHBMLR45/
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Okay, I'm converted to the Sunbeams... I tried a .130'' Sunbeam on my 4003/5 today and it has the same tone as the strings on my 4004. Just a revelation of great tone. I must not have been installing DR strings right before, even though I was convinced that I was. I had the 4004's previous owner show me how he did it to do a better job for the B string.

I also tried a Fat Beam low B and didn't like it nearly as much, unfortunately.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

40-60-80-100 Hellborgs on my 4003, and the tone is fantastic.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

cassius987 wrote:Okay, I'm converted to the Sunbeams... I tried a .130'' Sunbeam on my 4003/5 today and it has the same tone as the strings on my 4004. Just a revelation of great tone. I must not have been installing DR strings right before, even though I was convinced that I was. I had the 4004's previous owner show me how he did it to do a better job for the B string.

I also tried a Fat Beam low B and didn't like it nearly as much, unfortunately.
My luthier in Memphis always said DR strings had to be set up completely differently to most strings. I could not give you any particulars,but that was his assessment. I have a set of 40-100 fatbeams on my 4000 now,but i think they are gonna be replaced with a slightly heavier 45-105 set of Sunbeams. The SS fatbeams are actually almost TOO bright for the 4000.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

woodyng wrote:My luthier in Memphis always said DR strings had to be set up completely differently to most strings. I could not give you any particulars,but that was his assessment. I have a set of 40-100 fatbeams on my 4000 now,but i think they are gonna be replaced with a slightly heavier 45-105 set of Sunbeams. The SS fatbeams are actually almost TOO bright for the 4000.
I would have agreed with your luthier before, but I think in my case it was simply that I was not doing a good enough job with the string install to prevent the core from detaching from the wrap (and getting buzzy strings as a result). My setup specs now remain pretty low with Sunbeams, but in the past I was thinking these kind of strings needed high action. It really seems to be the install.

I fully agree about the Fat Beams... way too bright and airy, and lacking the tasty mids of the S-beams.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Let's see your new 4004, Rhys! :)

Return to “The Low End”