Spector owners??

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Spector owners??

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Are there any Spector owners here? if so, what do you have and how do you like it? What does it do well? What could be better about them??

The neck through NS 4 string with P & J pups has caught my eye.

I'm not an active pick up type guy but the right bass may make me a fan. Who knows!

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
bluewhale

Re: Spector owners??

Post by bluewhale »

I play a Euro 4LX and Euro 5LX. They cover very different terrain, and I love them both.

The 4LX has the EMG P-J pickup configuration with the P reversed, and is an absolute snarling beast. I think the aggressive tone is mainly due to the reverse P, the Spector tone circuit, and the massive bridge. I would think it would appeal to many Rick players.

If the bass you're looking at also has the P-J, then I'd say it's not an NS4, but an American-made NS2. That would be a step up from the 4LX in a number of ways, but I guess they're pretty similar.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

I've got a Euro LX4 as well. It's a very dynamic beast. As Ric players we're accustomed to that. They're very comfy players. And, like Rics, they have a very devoted following - for good reason.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Oops, my mistake. Yes, the NS2 is the one that caught my eye. Pricey so I need to be sure. I just need to find a place near me that stocks them. It's not something I'm expecting Sam Ash to order for me or to stock.

Woodstock, NY is 1.5 hours north of me. Hmm, I wonder if the factory has tours.

Sep
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Not to Xpost, but there's a horde of Spector faithful over at TB and quite often NS2's pop up for sale.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

They are growly beasts - you'll love 'em. :)
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

John,

That is what I'm told. I also like the neck profile. In looking at the specs, it seems I'd be in heaven!!

Before dropping 7k+ on another 60's horseshoe Rickenbacker, would adding a Spector beef up my collection and make me more versatile and save a few thousand in the process? I think so.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Rickenbackers, especially the vintage ones!! Would adding a 68 Horsie 4001 give me something more or better than what my 65 already delivers? I don't think so.

I'm looking for a huge growly tone that will knock the socks off everyone in the bar! I'm not a huge fan of active pups but it is what it is. The P and J EMG pups look very versatile.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Kopfjaeger wrote:John,

That is what I'm told. I also like the neck profile. In looking at the specs, it seems I'd be in heaven!!

Before dropping 7k+ on another 60's horseshoe Rickenbacker, would adding a Spector beef up my collection and make me more versatile and save a few thousand in the process? I think so.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Rickenbackers, especially the vintage ones!! Would adding a 68 Horsie 4001 give me something more or better than what my 65 already delivers? I don't think so.

I'm looking for a huge growly tone that will knock the socks off everyone in the bar! I'm not a huge fan of active pups but it is what it is. The P and J EMG pups look very versatile.

Sepp
Well,you seriously already have Rick basses covered,so there's that! :lol:
As for the Spector, I hate emg's and their ilk,but since it is a P-J pickup setup,you have tons of options to replace them. I played one of the early Spectors,that had a curiously curved body,years ago,and remember really liking the feel of it.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I once had a Spector NS-4A which was made in the early 90's. It was the same bass as the American version, but made in Japan with EMG "Select" pickups for less $$. I took a drive from the Bronx to Neptune, NJ with a bass student of mine, when Kramer was having a going out of business warehouse sale and got it super cheap. It was a nice bass guitar. I had a very baseball bat like neck which I didn't mind. What I liked least about it was the very sterile, hi-tailored sound. I sold it about 15 years ago. There are times when I regret selling it, just to have a different 4 string besides a Precision Bass in the arsenal.
Last edited by rickenbrother on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Kopfjaeger wrote:...would adding a Spector ... make me more versatile... I think so.

Sepp
What would the ladies think?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Kopfjaeger wrote:I'm looking for a huge growly tone that will knock the socks off everyone in the bar!

Sepp
Why not give Martin Keith a call and go up to Woodstock for a visit with him; perhaps something made specifically for you and your goals would be a wise investment. :wink:
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Mine is a left-handed NS-4CR, brought home from the Spector booth at the NAMM show in 1996, and I bought it new then....It may be the first Euro NS4 ever made for this was around the time they were introduced and it has no sn# and very plain peghead graphics. I love love love :mrgreen: this bass, it can sound like nearly anything I want it too. Small-ish neck, very growl-ly sound--especially off the back pickup.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Jeff,

I asked about going to the Woodstock plant and no dice. I was offered a very nice amber deluxe quilted maple winged NS2 from the factory. I guess it was at a show and it is for sale. If I'm going to spend a ton of money, I'm going to have it built to my color scheme! :D

I'm thinking green stain to highlight the grain, almost like tiger stripe, and either an ebony or birds eye maple fretboard and black hardware with a De-tuner on the E. But first, I have to find one to play. I've gotten mixed reaction about them. Growley tone monsters and on the other spectrum, one trick pony/sterile sounding.

I do tend to think most active electronics sound a bit sterile.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Martin does not work for/at Spector, although no doubt he knows Stuart quite well. Martin builds his own instruments as well as working with Joe Veillette building Joe's instruments. Just an alternative possibility.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Correction to my post above, it was the NS2A model and had dot inlays in the fingerboard instead of the usual Spector inlays.
Now Spector also produces what I call the, "Spender bass guitar series", because they are clones of Fenders.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “The Low End”