Is there such a thing?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

marc61

Is there such a thing?

Post by marc61 »

As a combo bass rig with power, and light weight?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Is there such a thing?

Post by jps »

Sure, MarkBass makes at least a couple different ones. GK, too, although their reliability has become questionable, as of late( at least the Far Eastern made ones, the earlier ones).
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Not sure if I would actually get this but I tried it today at GC. Pretty impressive. I was shocked to find out it was only 50 watts
Attachments
markbass 8 inch speaker.jpg
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

A former band-mate of mine (who is a fantastic bassist) was looking for this same combination of things; for many years he had been gigging with an Eden EX410 and a Time Traveler head. We went to SxSW in 2010 and spent some time on the gear exhibition floor talking to different reps, and he ended-up spending a lot of time with the people at TC Electronic.

The solution to his problem -- less mass without sacrificing tone or power -- was a TC Electronic RH750 (750 Watts), and the RS210 cabinet. The head is so small that it fits inside of something the size of a purse, and the cabinet is easily carried with one hand. They also make combos out of essentially the same components -- where the amp is removable from the mounting area in the cabinet -- and comes in 750 and 450 watt configurations.

That was the only band I had ever been in where loading the bass gear was something the bassist could do by himself in one trip; amplifier bagged and slung over his shoulder, bass in one hand, cab in the other, and he was good to go.

As much as I loved the sound of the Eden: we didn't miss it at shows. We were a really loud band, too.

I think the RH750 is also endorsed by John Paul Jones...
marc61

Post by marc61 »

This looks more like my price range. 2x8 with 250 watts, 25 lbs...should do the trick. I wonder where I can try one out
Attachments
TC Electronics.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I'd lose that logo that blocks fully 1/3 of the lower driver, better yet, have Don Oatman of LDS build you something. 8)

It would look better, be built with better materials, sound better, and be close to the same price, I think.

Here is my killer 2-8 cabinet from LDS.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Not really boutique, but the new redesigned Fender Rumble combo's introduced at NAMM look interesting. One thing that flips my switch, is that the 200 and 500 watt models have an external speaker jack to add another cabinet. Check 'em out! http://www.fender.com/series/rumble/
"Knowledge is Power"
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cheyenne wrote:Not really boutique, but the new redesigned Fender Rumble combo's introduced at NAMM look interesting. One thing that flips my switch, is that the 200 and 500 watt models have an external speaker jack to add another cabinet. Check 'em out! http://www.fender.com/series/rumble/
I don't know about those amps, but the Dimension Basses are really nice. I've tried out both the 4 and 5 string versions. Very nice sound and playability, just a bit on the heavy side.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:...the Dimension Basses are really nice. I've tried out both the 4 and 5 string versions. Very nice sound and playability, just a bit on the heavy side.
The American made ones?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:...the Dimension Basses are really nice. I've tried out both the 4 and 5 string versions. Very nice sound and playability, just a bit on the heavy side.
The American made ones?
All of the ones that I picked up at the NAMM show were on the heavy side. One that I tried recently at a GC was definitely American made and seemed a little lighter.
I guess I'm just so used to the light weight of the 4004! :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sorry, I am not asking whether the American made ones were heavier, I am just interested in whether the ones you really likes were the American ones vs. the off shore ones. I'd like to try an American Deluxe Dimension but all we have around here are the Chinese Modern Player versions.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:Sorry, I am not asking whether the American made ones were heavier, I am just interested in whether the ones you really likes were the American ones vs. the off shore ones. I'd like to try an American Deluxe Dimension but all we have around here are the Chinese Modern Player versions.
I'm looking at the pics I took at NAMM. None of the Dimension Basses look like Chinese Modern Player models, which only comes in Candy Apple Red, Olympic White and Charcoal Transparent has two control knobs and have bar magnets in the pickups. The ones played were American Deluxe models.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I really want to try an American HH model, supposedly they are quite nice; it is amazing that I am even interested in the concept of wanting to try a new Fender (what's the matter with me? :mrgreen: ).
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:I really want to try an American HH model, supposedly they are quite nice; it is amazing that I am even interested in the concept of wanting to try a new Fender (what's the matter with me? :mrgreen: ).
They are very nice. I tried one out just for the heck of it and I liked it alot so I tried a 5 string, liked that alot also. First non Rickenbacker bass guitar on my wish list in a very long time. Especially being a Fender...what's the matter with ME?! :shock: :mrgreen: The thing I like least about them is the pickguard. They could have done without the pickguard or just have a control cavity cover.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I totally agree about the pickguard, the shape of it is pretty lame IMO, but Pickguardian could come to the rescue on that. The other thing I would prefer is a pan knob for the pickups along with a toggle or two to take care of the various pickup choices instead of the blade switch, but then I may feel differently about that if I ever get to actually play one.

Return to “The Low End”